cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwbiker
Level 7

McAfee seems to be messing with my XP-SP3 "classic" start menu

I am running Windows XP SP3. I am using the "classic" start menu so the operating system does not change with what appears in the start menu.  In order to consolidate my large start menu I have moved my McAfee programs shortcuts down one level under "Malware Prevention".  Each time I restart, however, McAfee (possibly one of the service modules) recreates a top level entry in the start menu.  Does anyone know how can I disable this annoying feature?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee seems to be messing with my XP-SP3 "classic" start menu

You can't as McAfee is integrated into the Windows Security Center and this is by design apparently.

We have brought this up previously and have been told that it may or may not be changed at some stage in the future but is a low priority on the amendment list.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/09/10 1:12:48 EDT PM
0 Kudos
bmwbiker
Level 7

What does "McAfee Services" do?

I have found through trial and error that disabling (using msconfig) the service module called "McAfee Services" prevents the start menu from being rewritten.  Do you know what other services are performed by this subprogram and would be disabled if I kill it?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: What does "McAfee Services" do?

I would imagine it disables more than just that Start Menu item but have no idea what.  In another similar thread in the Enterprise section a tech stated 'don't be surprised if you suddenly end up infected' so your guess is as good as mine on this.

I will ask for help on this.

0 Kudos