cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borad
Level 7

McAfee registry entry messing up VBScript even after uninstall

Jump to solution

I have a VBScript startup program on Windows 7 that occasionally doesn't run after installing new software, and now it's failed for the last three boots. A notification tells me the VBScript engine can't be found. A post on Microsoft's website says there are two registry entries needed for VBScript (see below image). On my computer, one of the entries isn't as it should be - the data should be C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll but instead it's a path to a file in a McAfee directory. I uninstalled McAfee after the free trial that came with my computer but it looks like McAfee didn't cleanly uninstall itself. As you can see from the picture, I "cannot edit" this data in the registry. Could someone tell me how to edit this data, assuming it's safe to do so, so I could get VBScript to work?

UPDATE 1: I found the KnowledgeBase article at https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71660 and tried adapting "workaround 2" to my situation, but it's not possible because the only McAfee files I have are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\mcafee\Installer\mcinst

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfeeFPDetect\fpdtctrs.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfeeFPDetect\McFPDtct

There seems to be no ScriptSn to unregister.

UPDATE 2: I created a plain text file at C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20120810174448.dll so there would be something there to unregister. I still couldn't replace it with C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll in regedit. Then I tried at the command line:

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore

regsvr32.exe /u ScriptSn.20120810174448.dll

But I got a message that said:

"The module "ScriptSn.2012810174448.dll" may not compatible with the verison of Windows that you're running/ Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit_ version of regsvr32.exe."

I don't know why Windows cares that something I'm unregistering isn't compatible. It should be glad I'm trying to unregister it. ScriptSn.20120810174448.dll is still in the registry.

Message was edited by: borad on 12/22/12 2:14:34 AM CST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: McAfee registry entry messing up VBScript even after uninstall

Jump to solution

Ok was tricked by posting that enterprise KB article.

It is best in your case to contact support via call/chat of email(very slow reply) and see if they can assist. If necessary ask for an escalation. Our usual support contacts are all off for the next week so we cannot query them though I would first try a full uninstall reinstall as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

Hmm rereading I assume you do not want to reinstall is that correct? Previously did you use the MCPR removal tool to complete the Mcafee removal?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/12/12 7:07:59 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/12/12 7:48:31 PM
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

I take it this was Mcafee enterprise version? If so I need to move this to where the users of that program reside as this is the consumer area and we have no experience with corporate products.

0 Kudos
borad
Level 7

Jump to solution

No, it's the version that came with my Acer Aspire AX1470-UR11P with Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version. I saw similar problems in the "More Like This" box to the right, which led me to the  KnowledgeBase article. I know the article doesn't exactly fit my situation.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Ok was tricked by posting that enterprise KB article.

It is best in your case to contact support via call/chat of email(very slow reply) and see if they can assist. If necessary ask for an escalation. Our usual support contacts are all off for the next week so we cannot query them though I would first try a full uninstall reinstall as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

Hmm rereading I assume you do not want to reinstall is that correct? Previously did you use the MCPR removal tool to complete the Mcafee removal?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/12/12 7:07:59 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/12/12 7:48:31 PM
0 Kudos
borad
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just had to change the permissions of  InprocServer32 in the registry and it let me write C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll where it should be, but VBScript still didn't work. Then I noticed that vbscript.dll is actually in my System32 folder (upper case S) so I changed the registry again. Still didn't work. It's not that important how fast it's fixed but I guess I'll try that uninstall tool. My subscription expired, but maybe it will work. I don't know what version I had.

Message was edited by: borad on 12/22/12 3:21:40 PM CST
0 Kudos
borad
Level 7

Jump to solution

The MCPR removal tool worked! I rebooted and my VBScript startup program opened! Yes, I don't want to reinstall McAfee. I hadn't used MCPR before. That's all I had to do but I didn't know about it.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Great it worked sorry we (the community) cannot keep you.

Have a merry Xmas

0 Kudos