cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee refuses to download updates and I can't download the new version (2011) online

I run Windows XP on my computer and I have McAfee Total Protection 2010 on my computer. It's supposed to expire December 12 2010. For about a week, McAfee tells me it cannot do updates because of a connection problem with the internet but I am connected 24/7/365. It actually finds the update but stops when it's time to download it and McAfee becomes red saying I'm not protected.

Also, my other problem is that I just purchased McAfee Total Protetion 2011 and the download is in my account but everytime I click on the link, I get an error page. No matter if I try with Internet Explorer (7) or Mozilla Firefox (3.6.3). I even tried refreshing a few times on both browsers. No luck at all.

I don't know what to do now. Help?

Message was edited by: stolenglimpse on 10/2/10 12:06:28 PM CDT

Okay, so now, in McAfee, some things changed. I have up until December 29 2011 now for the expiration even though I didn't download anything. But I still can't do any updates

Message was edited by: stolenglimpse on 10/2/10 12:15:41 PM CDT
0 Kudos
9 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: McAfee refuses to download updates and I can't download the new version (2011) online

Try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Go to useful links at the top of this page and run the McAfee MCPR removal tool which will remove any remaining traces of the software that fail to completely remove via the normal uninstall and reboot again. Then follow the instructions in this link and be sure to run the McAfee preinstall tool which is include in this linkhttp://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100119

Let us know if this resolves everything

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee refuses to download updates and I can't download the new version (2011) online

Is this XP SP3...I hope?   Also it may help to download the latest browsers, both IE8 and Firefox 3.6.10 (for the latter simply click Help/Check for Updates).

0 Kudos

I got the latest Firefox. I cannot access the download for IE. And now that I did what the other person said, I no longer have McAfee installed either. And I still can't download my new purchase of McAfee. I'm doomed, aren't I?

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

0 Kudos

IE and Firefox don't connect to that link at all.

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Have you ever had any virus or malware issues ? This document from McAfee will assist you to get back up and running See if you can download the McAfee stinger and run that scan. Are you up to date with all of your Windows updates?

Something else you might want to try is to download onto a usb stick from a non infected pc the following free program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php by renaming the download and installation files to something you can easily remember as malware is written to self protect itself. When you rename the files you can usually get the program installed. Check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer. Do the same procedure for this free program also www.superantispyware.com

Let us know if issues persist

0 Kudos

Ran the Stinger but I forgot one step in preference. It found and fixed 3 things.

I still can't update IE to 8. I still can't download my new McAfee purchase. And I can't access the download to that program you suggest to put on a usb stick. All error messages as if I don't have internet connection, lost the connection or it timed out or whatever else.

I think I'll have to go on another computer and try to get these. It feels like my computer now has this thing where I can't download anything program wise though I did get the second available download (the Anti-theft thing) and it somehow let me get Opera. If this thing doesn't work (getting the stuff from someone else's computer, I guess my only choice will have to bring my computer into a shop and get it wiped or something. I did that last year.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Seems the mcafee site blocked try another AV site (you figure which 1) and see if it is blocked. Could be that your hosts file in windows/system32/drivers/etc/ has a mcafee link in it has it?

When you install the two programs install them to renamed folders ie if it suggests Mmalware call it MW. Also when you download the setup file rename it as well as malware looks for known names of folders and files.

0 Kudos

I can't download the MCPR. This is what I get every time:

Oops! Firefox could not connect to download.mcafee.com

Same with IE.

And now I don't even have an Anti-Virus in...

0 Kudos