cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anakaris
Level 7

McAfee pop-ups about protection on other computers/devices on your network

This is the problem I'm having.

Every other day I recieve a pop-up ad from my McAfee Antivirus Plus. The ad states that there are computers and devices on my local network  which aren't protected by "McAfee" software. I don't understand why McAfee thinks I need to purchase software to protect my wireless printer, playstation 3 and ipod. It also indicates that other computers on my network need protection for which I already have security software. I have clicked on the link labeled "learn more" in the hopes of finding an option to turn off this unwanted feature and have found nothing but a list of network devices.

I have searched the support database for information on this problem but have yet to find a solution. I have emailed customer service for which the reply is an automated message that sends me back to the support sited (very annoying when you have already browsed the support site).

This McAfee advertisement on my computer is very annoying and something I do not want on my computer.

Has anyone else run across or know of a solution to this problem?

Your help is appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: McAfee pop-ups about protection on other computers/devices on your network

Why not try to contact Technical Support Chat? They can be contacted via Useful Links at the top of this page and are available 24 hours at no charge. 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You may have inadvertently downloaded McAfee Security Scan Plus when installing or updating another piece of software. It is an option that one can uncheck at Adobe.com for instance.

Check in your Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove in XP) for an extra McAfee entry and if found uninstall.

It is merely a security scan and assesses security on a system.

0 Kudos
Anakaris
Level 7

I checked the program list and there isn't an extra entry. Looking this morning in my McAfee software, I found a setting that I missed under: Navigation-> General Settings and Alerts-> Informational Alerts. There is a field for "Other PCs that do not have the latest version of your McAfee software", which sounds like the description for the problem I'm having. The box was unchecked however so I have tried to check the box, hit apply then uncheck the box and hit apply again. I don't understand why I was getting the alerts with the box unchecked in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestions from above.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Are you actually using a network?  If not you can just tell it to stop trusting the netwrok and that way there wont be any more detections.

0 Kudos
Anakaris
Level 7

Yes. I have a few computers on this network that regularly share data between them. (That is what you are asking right?)

I'm going to wait a day or two and hopefully the steps I outlined in my previous post will resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Ah, OK.  Then let's hope time will mend the situation.

0 Kudos