cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex.overton
Level 7

McAfee features won't install

Hi,

My laptop stopped opening the McAfee security centre on my laptop, so i uninstalled and reinstalled the app. (We have the BTNetprotect+ version of it)

The attached file is the error message that came up when trying to previously open the security centre.

Having reinstalled McAfee, it opens fine but when it had downloaded it told me the download was incomplete and that I could reinstall the extra security features whenever I wanted. I reopened McAfee security centre and it says my third party firewall is turned off, and when i say fix this it takes me to my control panel where i can click on the McAfee firewall but I can't turn it on. I also can't download any of the 'extra' (quite important) features such as web protection and anti-virus/spyware.

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee features won't install

Moved to Consumer General, sorry I tried to post your image visibly in the post and failed, losing it in the process.

Pictures can be added to a post using the small square symbol to the left of the one with a small arrow on the Actions bar.

You say reinstalled the app, where from?

You'd need to download the installer from your online account.  But first make sure everything is cleared out by running the cleanup tool: MCPR​ and reboot.

0 Kudos
alex.overton
Level 7

I'll try this tomorrow. I downloaded it from my dad's account on the bt website where I've downloaded it before and it's worked fine.

It would be aggravating to have to restore it to factory settings, as my dad seems to think there's a virus on it. I can't comment - to me it doesn't look like there's been a virus present.

Thanks for the suggestions, as I said I'll get onto that and reply tomorrow.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Oh dear.  See if anything in the following link might help you.

Would System Restore help?   If not I would start with GetSusp, note: put your email in Preferences and the lab will then get back to you.

Then try MalwareBytes Free and make sure you do NOT accept the free trial as that is the paid version.

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
alex.overton
Level 7

Hi again.

None of this has worked. The web protection installed, but nothing else will install. Tried removal and re-install, it hasn't worked.

I'm really getting to the end of my patience with this, I just don't understand what I can do to fix this!

(This was the image attached to my first post)14202815_10210064559559564_1829390037_o.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

​ - over to you.  Alex, Selvan is with support so should be of help.  Myself looking at that - all I can assume is either Windows is not up to date (Vista SP2, 7 SP1, 8.1 or 10) and no Insider Builds, or the version on your account is an old one.   Selvan will check I trust.

0 Kudos
alex.overton
Level 7

Just a quick sidenote - i have upgraded my version of windows 10 since then, still no improvements. can only download web protection!

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

It looks like the installation is corrupt. Please contact our Technical Support from the below link whom will run advanced tools to identify the root cause.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

Tier 2.5 Technician
0 Kudos
alex.overton
Level 7

what do I do from here?vt.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Do what it says, reboot, and go back to that link, you'll have to run the MVT again most likely

0 Kudos