Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee constantly updating every couple of hours

Yes even a moderator has to wait..... 😉

buster02
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 52 of 84

25 days on and still no end to this problem. Are you still waiting too? It really is awful customer care from McAfee - never even an apology or, indeed, an indication when it might be resolved for me

If you have affid=0 ie that is those who got the product from McAfee you should have the fix if not a uninstall and reinstall from your account will give you it only if you have affid=0 that is.

My beta install got it end September and my affid=0 installs 2 weeks ago or earlier. Australia gets 1st bite of all patches as they are a smaller user group should major bugs are found.

buster02
Level 8
Message 54 of 84

I bought a scratch card from a PC store which I assumed was effectively buying from McAfee. Anyway - my affid=384 so will I ever get the update?

(The replies above from Peacekeeper and Ex_Brit leave me feeling confused, I'm afraid - but thanks anyway. There is 'slow' and there is  'r  e  a  l  l   y    s  l  o  w'   as in this case. Surprising for an important product which doesn't update itself properly. It isn't cheap.)

Unsure what partner that id is. As Dell is getting it now the others will not be far behind. Beleive us we wamt this update finished as well but we have no control over it.

I was running the fix on beta for 3 weeks the release method is that followed always by Mcafee as they released other fixes than just the notification icon fix.

juliadlf
Level 7
Message 57 of 84

Mine has updated to the new build

McAfee.JPG HOWEVER, it is still trying to update every couple of hours.

I thought this issue of it updating every couple of hours was suppose to be fixed by the new build?

I was hoping it would only check once per day. Did I miss something?

The affid seems to be Dell is that correct your Mcafee is Dell sourced. If so Dell was being rolled out 2 weeks ago we will reask in our moderator call this day. From what we were told there was a bug found that slowed the release up.

the update process does happen fairly frequently anyway and depends on what components your have installed, anti-spam, vulnerability scanner etc. all update separately. 

The engine for antivirus usually updates once a day, but the software polls for updates every few hours anyway.

juliadlf
Level 7
Message 60 of 84

When I bought this PC from Dell a years or so ago, it had McAfee Live Safe installed on it .This year, I renewed the Live Safe software directly with McAfee everything

was fine with it updating just once per day or so. In July, I updated to Windows 10 and then in early September I noticed McAfee Updates is constantly updating

every couple of hours which in turns slows down everything and at times will freeze/hang. I'm not sure exactly what they did to fix the issue with Windows 10 but I

can't image they would need to update every couple of hours.

If I need to make a change in the software to limit the updating, exactly what do I need to do besides turning off Updates and manually turning it back on?

Thanks for trying to help.  I am the point of kicking this software to the curb and finding something else.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community