cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee constantly updating every couple of hours

Be patient, the fix is about to be released, but I have no idea exactly when.

I wish I could offer more but that's all we have.

chaste
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 84

This appears not to be only a Windows 10 issue, have two Dell computers running Windows 8.1 and one HP computer running Windows 10. Also three different Apps McAfee Live Safe, McAfee Security Center and McAfee AntVirus Plus.

All three have has this problem for several weeks maybe a month now.

It is quit annoying to have to manually have go to Updates, let it do its thing, and than click the DONE button to get it to stop.

PS. Have an couple of older Dells still running XP,  with AntVirus Plus and  it is working fine at this time.

Getting close to renewal time of the six copies I have and it this doesn't get fixed soon I won't be renewing

It has nothing to do with what OS you have, there are 2 known issues.

1.  The icon by the system clock appears to be almost constantly updating, the subject of this thread.  The fix is being slowly released as we speak.

2.   If you are having a problem updating at all, i.e. SecurityCenter giving warnings you are out-of-date yet it wont update, then that is a separate issue and I suggest you open a case with Technical Support, it's free by phone.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

buster02
Level 8
Message 34 of 84

Hi, Will the 'blue dot' fix also remove the need to switch off Access Protection? I've had to leave is set off for weeks now.

That is the 100 buck question as we mods do not have the update issue requiring AP to be disabled we cannot say. as far as we know that fix has never been investigated since it was fixed accidentally by another issues fix that also had an AP off workaround. we have to wait and see.

buster02
Level 8
Message 36 of 84

The roll out of the blue dot fix is indeed very slow! I still have the issue despite the software having updated itself at least once since your note on this. Is the fix really rolling out?

Fixing this problem has been unacceptably slow and amazingly no communication direct from McAfee

It is dependent on your affid number affid 0 gets it first in a certain order of countries and then partners such as acer/dell etc. They go slow so if there is a bug they can find it before 1/2 the world gets it.

juliadlf
Level 7
Message 38 of 84

What is the latest version suppose to be when you view  McAfee Security Center in "About" in the Navigation screen?

Mine says:

Version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.4121

I am not understanding why McAfee did not do beta testing before the launch. So disappointed and getting more annoyed as

each week passes and still no resolution. McAfee wants to update about every 3 to 4 hours so I keep having to disable the updates

and turn it back on and then back off each day.

We did and nobody got this issue.  It's seemingly only affecting certain set-ups.    McAfee tests it exhaustively in-house and then there is a public beta testing phase where anyone can report problems and these didn't crop up until this and few other threads suddenly appeared.

There is a fix in build 5084 which is still slowly being released to everyone.  Those who get there's from an ISP or other 3rd party will get them a little later than those with direct subscriptions.

buster02
Level 8
Message 40 of 84

where will I see 'build 5084' when I click .About' on the homescreen? will it replace:

Version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.4121

I have a direct subscription so from what you say I should get the update sooner rather than later

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community