cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee can't delete virus and file is hidden so I can't manually delete it

McAfee keeps on detecting a virus mwu.exe in my computer. Tried my luck on Malwarebytes but no threats were detected. I also can't trace the file using its full path. What should I do?

4 Replies

Re: McAfee can't delete virus and file is hidden so I can't manually delete it

Hello @bvsotelojr

Please let me know the file name and location which is showing in McAfee Quarantine items list.

Regards
Ragoth Karnan

Hello @RagothKarnan. Thanks for responding. The virus does not actually appear on the Quarantined Items list. However, this is the information provided after the full scan:

Infected Item: mwu.exe

Full Path: C:\Users\Jeriel\mwu.exe

Threats found: JTI\Suspect.131076!e55c673c4f70

I tried to locate it using the path but I can't see it. I ran the attrib command on cmd and it appears there labeled A SH. I tried to delete it on cmd but to no avail. 

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Please visit the below path and check if there are any quarantined items

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine\quarantine

If the directory is empty it means that McAfee has already cleared the infection. Note that some infections require McAfee to reboot the PC for cleaning.

Hello, @selvan. Thanks for responding. 

I followed your instruction and arrived at the Quarantine file in .db format which I opened. From what I have seen, it seems the directory is empty (I'm not that tech-savvy). 

I rebooted my PC, performed a full scan, and again, McAfee detects the virus mwu.exe and says it cannot delete it.