I have a D-Link DIR-825 router with an USB port connecting to a Seagate hardrive for files backup. About 3 weeks ago, my desktop running Window XP can no longer connect to the backup drive through a D-Link Shareport Utility though I can see the drive available on the router. On the other hand, I have a laptop running Window 7 can continue to make such connection to the backup drive. I have since reset the router and reinstall the software with update. The connection problem continues with the desktop while the laptop did not have such a problem until today. I contacted D-Link tech support and they said that it is likely an update from McAfee causes the problem and advised me to check the McAfee setting. I could not find any problem. Does anyone have any advises?
Please try the following:
1. Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Firewall> Settings> Program Permissions> Make sure D-Link Shareport Utility has given Full Access
2. Do you have any port numbers for D-Link Shareport Utility, if yes then navigate to McAfee Security Center> Click on Firewall> Settings> Connections, add those IP Address information and save as Home
3. Restart the computer and check the status
That is where I find problem.
1. I can ping from desktop to laptop and vice versus using computer's name, and I can ping from desktop to laptop using laptop's IP address but I got time out when I ping from laptop to desktop using desktop's IP address.
2. When I look at the My Network on the desktop, I can see the laptop as "online", and I can also see the desktop from my laptop showing as "untrusted". The desktop icon also disappears from time to time.
3. When I tried to change "untrusted" desktop showing on the laptop, it asked me to type in a password and it asks me to type the same password on the destop but I can find anywhere to type it in. then a message shows up on the laptop that Unable to trust PC - "desktop is momentarily unavailable. Please try again.
4. The desktop is running on Window XP with McAfee AntiVirus Plus while the laptop in running on Window 7 with McAfee Security Center. I had thought about upgrade the desktop to Window 7 and McAfee Security Center but the destop is almost 7 years old and it is not worth to upgrade it.
5. In any case that doesn't explain why both can connect to the router hard-drive with Shareport Utility since they both can see the router as "online".