cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee blocks embedded objects in Word

I have several Word documents with embedded Excel spreadsheets. Trying to open one of these Excel objects now produced a pop-up telling me: "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges". Also creating a new Excel object, going back to the document and trying to reopen it gave the same pop-up. Even without the document being saved!

According to Problem with excel object in word - Microsoft Community  McAfee is to blame.

Is it and is there a solution/workaround?

7 Replies
Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: McAfee blocks embedded objects in Word

Hello there

We suspect that Web Advisor might be causing this. Please remove "McAfee WebAdvisor" from Programs list and check if it solves the problem.

Hi,

I uninstalled Webadvisor, to no result. To besure, I restarted the machine. During the restart, Windows installed a few updates (from today, my machine is set to automatic updates), including the security update for Word 2007: December 12, 2017. After the restart the document opend properly and I could open the embedded object.

So, not sure which action caused the result, but I'll leave Webadviser uninstalled.

Thanks for the help!

Please see this video that shows very clearly what the issue is. "User does not have access privileges..." - YouTube

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hello

McAfee is aware of this conflict with WebAdvisor and the problem should be solved with WebAdvisor version 4.0.7.148. To get this updated version of WebAdvisor follow the below steps

1. Uninstall McAfee WebAdvisor from list of installed programs

2. Restart the PC and Open Internet Explorer (preferably)

3. Navigate to https://www.mcafee.com/mcafeewebadvisor

4. Download and Install WebAdvisor ; Reboot if prompted

5. Verify the version of McAfee WebAdvisor by clicking browser plugin > Options > About

6. The About page should indicate version 4.0.7.148

Thanks. I followed the steps, but in step 3-4, the version that downloaded was 4.0.7.141, which still has the error not fixed.

Shouldn't WebAdvisor automatically update itself? Or at the very least, present a notification that a new version is available an option to the customer to update it?

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

WebAdvisor updates automatically but the number of updates are controlled by McAfee. There is a limit in which number of users are updated to latest version (for obvious reasons) for a given day. I would suggest you restart the PC just in case the WebAdvisor files are waiting to be updated. If still the same version try in a day or two.

Highlighted

Thanks for the help. I was able to download version 4.0.7.148, and see the issue is indeed fixed.

Related question: the Chrome extension McAfee SECURE Safe Browsing -- is this essentially the same as WebAdvisor, but packaged as a Chrome extension? I assume I wouldn't need both SECURE and WebAdvisor, correct?