Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stoex
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 29

McAfee and Windows Defender

Jump to solution

Countless leads followed on the internet still leave my issue unresolved (this is my first visit to this site).

Given:

system is Windows - Vista

32 bit

restore functionality has been on

both Windows Defender & McAfee were functional at same time for a time.

Defender is a part of the Vist software, so I can't uninstall it separately.

Current problem:

Windows Defender when manually started now gives an error: 0x80070006. Handle invalid.

Upon boot up, I additionally now get an obnoxious error that Windows blocked "a program" (guess what it is)

I can't turn Defender off through Security; get the above listed error.

I have read that McAfee disables Defender.  Also read that contrary to some, both can run without a problem.

I don't know how long Defender has been "disabled", if McAfee disabled it, some Microsoft update caused it or whatever.

Restore points are too close to the above observations, so restoring is useless at this point. Don't know if some update from McAfee is the source either.

Need to methodically trouble shoot and resolve the issue.

Uninstall updates from MS is not a good starting point because MS is just MS.

Would like to know HOW to go through steps in McAfee to get Defender back on and then decide what to do next.

Somebody out there has to have had a similar experience. I started going down so many paths that were fruitless and seemed like guess work.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20
Message 28 of 29

Re: McAfee and Windows Defender

Jump to solution

I ran across this thread with the same Error: 0x80070006 Handle Invalid Error

Peter is far more familiar with Vista Sp2, just thought I would send to let you look at.

http://nibbish.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-fix-things-windows-defender-corrupt.html

I am not stating it is a remedy to your solution by no means.

Regards,

CatDaddy

You may want to read the "Comments" below the thread from people whom actually applied the fix.

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/17/13 2:52:45 PM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
28 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 29

Jump to solution

This is Vista SP2 I trust?   I use that as my main OS and have both McAfee and WD turned on and no problems.  

When installing McAfee WD is disabled by the installer but there's usually no issue with re-enabling it afterwards.

Have you had any other issues with Vista?

stoex
Level 7
Message 3 of 29

Jump to solution

It is SP1.

No other issues with Vista and no issues with McAfee that I know of.

If McAfee disables WD when McAfee installs, shouldn't I be able to enable it?

As I understand, WD is actually a part of Vista and therefore cannot be uninstalled or reinstall by itself.

thanks for responding.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 29

Jump to solution

Yes you should be able to enable it but I suspect part of the reason you can't is because Vista SP1 is not supported by Microsoft.  You must install SP2.  There's help with that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019

Also you should have IE9 installed whether or not you use it, but worry about that after SP2 is installed.

stoex
Level 7
Message 5 of 29

Jump to solution

I will look into SP2, although a bit concerned I would be adding to my problems rather than solving them.

If it was working before, why the change.

Also where would I "enable" it in the system? Via McAfee?

And with your last reply I just remembered, I now use Google Chrome rather than IE.  I had way too many "not responding" events to suit my patience.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 29

Jump to solution

Control Panel > Security.

The point is that Vista SP1 isn't supported by Microsoft and therefore McAfee regards it as the minimum requirement.   For your own security you need to be up to date.

There are some helpful hints on that link I gave to make it easier.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/13 6:17:50 EST PM
exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 29

Jump to solution

Regarding IE I wasn't saying you should be using it, just updating it.   Some aspects of Windows rely on it as does the McAfee interface.

stoex
Level 7
Message 8 of 29

Jump to solution

I successfully installed SP2.  Used the stand alone, as referenced in your post.

Went to Control Panel > Security

Click on Defender: got the error> Application failed to initialize: 0x80070006. Handle Invalid.

This is the same error I have been getting.

I also, upon someone's suggest did:

services.msc (in the search box at Start)

That open the services dialog box. I was told I would see Defender there and could change one of its properties so it would run. Nothing was there, but other unrelated stuff.

Someone suggested I uninstall McAfee and Defender would automatically be enabled,  but I don't like that option and it seems pointless.

So now I have Vista w/SP2 and McAfee, like you have. But nowhere can I find  a place to enable defender.

What do you suggest next?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 9 of 29

Jump to solution

Well it's most likely a problem with Windows so I would also ask about it on Microsoft forums or maybe here, they are good at this sort of thing:  http://www.vistax64.com/ under System Security

Here's a Tutorial on turning it on or off: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93118-windows-defender-off.html

& unable to turn it on:  http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/218830-windows-defender-fix-unable-turn.html

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/13 9:10:59 EST PM
exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 29

Jump to solution

BTW congrats on installing SP2, there are still lots of updates after that.