Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raiden
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

McAfee agent does not open

So, I've been trying to open Mcafee agent(BT Netprotect plus) for a while, but it never really opens. Using Process Explorer, I can see that McUICnt.exe is running, but when I try to run BT Netprotect Plus, in Process Manager, it just doesn't open. It's not a matter of waiting, because again looking at Process Explorer, mcagent.exe opens, with a descendant process of McUICnt.exe again, but mcagent quickly closes about a second after opening. This explanation may be a bit hard to understand, so here is a video showing exactly what happens:

7 Replies

Re: McAfee agent does not open

Try running the latest MVT to check if there are any issues:http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/downloadindex.html

If it should be the case there are, and are not resolved,you can always contact Technical Support 24/7 via Phone/Chat being much quicker.Services and Support for Home and Office

In addition please make sure that you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons.To include Internet Explorer, even if you choose to not use. McAfee relies on it as well as other important programs. In addition check to see if you have the latest Version of Adobe Flash Player   16.0.0.296.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
raiden
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

waitwaitwaitwait, Mcafee relies on Flash Player? Well, that explains it, mine has been out of date for about a month now. I'll update it and see if that remedies the problem.

Adobe Flash Player is required to (View) the Uninstall/Reinstall Tutorial. It is always Imperative to keep it up to date as it is always a method of exploitation by Malware.

Please see:How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

If I am not terribly mistaken, you should be able to follow the Uninstall/Reinstall procedures. And then go to your "Account" and reinstall...if necessary of course.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 8

As CD says, always keep things like Flash totally up to date and while you are checking, install any updates for Internet Explorer that may have been forgotten as McAfee's functionality relies principally on that.

(It doesn't have to be your default browser).

If all else fails Tech Support is free and available 24/7 in your area.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 8

I moved this to Consumer > General Discussion.

It would appear that the shortcut/App that you are using points in the wrong direction.  Can you open it from the desktop App at all?

As CD suggested try running the Virtual Techncian to see if it finds and fixes problems.   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Last question, have you recently run any registry cleaners and have you moved any system files out of their usual spot as some misguided "gurus" advise?

Your last resort would be the free Technical Support, which is linked below should you choose that direction.  Open 24/7.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

raiden
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Eh, I suppose I'll give the MVT another shot but it never seems to work. On the topic of registries. I didn't delete anything, but I did modify something in the registry to increase frame rate on a game, but the changes were only one boolean value to 3 files, all of which were in the registry of the game, so I highly doubt that is the problem. As for the tech support, they just told me to go to the BT section, which really didn't help as I didn't have a link and couldn't find where I was going.

Did you by chance attempt to reach your account by going to www.bt.com?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer