cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carriew
Level 7

McAfee & Windows 10 defender

I have McAfee Internet security on Windows 10. Should I be also running Windows Defender? I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer anywhere.

I was running fine until a noisy banner came up saying I wasn't secure and I think it maybe got switched on by mistake. Also if I switch defender off it comes back on again.

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee & Windows 10 defender

In Windows 8.1, 10 and above Windows Defender contains an antivirus which means it should not be on when a 3rd party antivirus such as McAfee is installed.   Using 2 antiviruses together can lead to major issues.

With McAfee installed Defender should be automatically turned off.   The other notices are hopefully false alarms.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes problems.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

On the slightly lower left of that page you'll see "Contact Support".

That's the place to contact Technical Support if you decide to.  It's free of charge and the phone method is best.

I advise you do that if the MVT doesn't help.

0 Kudos
carriew
Level 7

Thanks.

I have contacted support but they tell me it is a windows problem which I will need to pay for help.

I am unable to switch defender off

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

carriew wrote:

Thanks.

I have contacted support but they tell me it is a windows problem which I will need to pay for help.

I am unable to switch defender off

Try completely uninstalling all McAfee products via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool:  http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Reboot.

Go to your online account, download and install from there.

Hint: save time by downloading the installer first, save it to your desktop.  Right-click it and go to Properties.  Unblock it, apply etc. 

Then doing the above except now you can simply install from the downloaded installer.

catdaddy
Level 20

Moved from Support Forums to General Discussion> Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos