cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluelead
Level 7

McAfee Will Not Recognize Computer

Jump to solution

I have been with McAfee for years.  I paid for 3 computrers.  Two work well.  When I went on line with my new Windows 7 computer, I downloaded McAfee, but later I changed the name of my computer.  At my subscription site, I deactivated the old name and made active the 3 computers.  However, McAfee said I had 6 days to activate the computer under the old name.  I have downloaded McAfee twice after the 6th day and I was locked out.  But, McAfee still does not recognize the my computer.  My Account shows the three correct computers as "Active" and the other (under the old name) as deactivated.  What did I do wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Will Not Recognize Computer

Jump to solution

Yes try a complete uninstall the regular way, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall.

The procedure is outlined HERE.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try using the Subscription Repair Tool.  HERE.

0 Kudos
bluelead
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried using the Repair Tool.  Options 1 and 2 are correct for my computer.  I tried option 3, but it didn't work for me.  Double clicked on the red "M", but their wasn't a choice that I was suppose to follow.  Found the tool sum what confusing for my skill level.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I would try Technical Support then, they are open all the time and free of charge by phone or online chat.   Link is under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

You said double clicked on red M The FAQ says right click did you do that or left click?t?

0 Kudos
bluelead
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried right click one click and two.  Nothing came up with what I was suppose to see.  However, this moring I cannot get into McAfee at all on computer numbered 13 (i'll number these for ease of reference).  Clicking on the M gives me nothing.  On my other computer number 09, I signed on to MY Account and this is what I found.

The original name for the computer 13 was gone.  The correcte name for the computer 13 was listed twice.  One said under "Status" that it "Needs Attention" and the other said, "Protection on this device has been deactivated."

My computer 09 said this under "Status," "Protected."  The other computer number 10 said, "Looking for device info?  You'll find it right here - coming soon."

Any suggestions?  Should I try re-installing McAfee on my new computer number 13?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Yes try a complete uninstall the regular way, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall.

The procedure is outlined HERE.

0 Kudos
bluelead
Level 7

Jump to solution

That worked!!  Everything seems to be straighted out now.  Cannot thank you guys enough.  Now I have to figure out why the McAfee shortcut periodically moves from where I have it on my desktop to where it jumps to in the upper left corner of the desktop screen.  But that must me a Windows issue I need to figure out.  Many thanks!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now.  Good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

That is a bug they fixed then accidently brought back. If you move it next update it will move again though if you put it inside a folder say named AV programs it will stay there so I have found

0 Kudos