I had Total Protection 2012 on 2 computers which expires soon; purchased new McAfee Total Protection 2013 (3 user) cd but cannot install it:
getting blank page when trying to install from the "mcafee.com/mtp/retailcd" web page or “no jscript” when installing from the cd.
(Windows 7 and IE 10).
Steps I ran so far:
- uninstalled the previous version of McAfee Total Protection and Malwarebytes
- ran the MCPR cleanup tool, which did not finish successfully (there are errors in the log)
- checked the Security Settings: scripting is enabled
- ran regsvr32 jscript.dll: but it failed
- checked the User Shell Folders registry entries: they look fine.
Should I try to remove manually everything "McAfee" from the registry?
I’ve found other posts regarding similar problems, but haven’t seen it resolved.
Hopefully the links therein will help.
It was a widespread issue but you are the first to report it now in ages.Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/07/13 7:22:30 EDT PM
Hi sophia20 I beleive that you cleared files in temp,%temp%, prefetch folders individually. Could you brief the problems that you encountered after step 2 so that I can figure out anything..!
After I've deleted files from temp folder and installed all the windows updates, a blank page has been displayed in place of hotmail login page.
Had to restore the files from the recycle bin and perform system restore to the previous point, than installed all windows updates - which did fix it.
Tonight I will try McAfee installation again (without clearing the temp folder).
Hi sophia20 it is necessary to clear the files in 'temp' folder since it may contain the temporary files of the incomplete installation. However you can try first without clearing the files and let me know the status here.
Hi sophia20 you can try the below steps and check to see if you are able to install McAfee
1) Install all Windows updates including optional updates
2) Delete files in "temp" "%temp%" and "prefetch" folders (Press Win+R and type "temp" without quotes to access this folder directly)
3) Reboot the Computer and run MCPR tool (Ensure MCPR runs successfully - retry by rebooting in case it fails)
4) Run McPreinstall from here
5) Install McAfee from CD by running the setup as Administrator
Encountered some problems with the web pages after step 2) - (e.g. the hotmail login page), had to performed system restore...