cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stoicak
Level 7

McAfee Total Protection 2012 - issues during,after download and in uninstalling

McAfee Total Protection 2012 - issues during,after download and in uninstalling

Tried to download McAfee Total Protection 2012 on my laptop with  Windows 7 OS. The installation took long and thrice shoed a decrease in progress bar reading before finally completing. On completion I got a message that some features were not installed. I tried the Virtual Technician and it pointed out that McAfee Virus Scan and Anti Spyware were not installed and asked me to try again.

I tried twice. The download progress shows 100% completion but on completion i again get a message that the installation was unsucessful.

I then uninstalled McAfee from my system using Uninsatl program feature provided in Windows, rebooted Windows, ran MCPR (latest version) but the uninstall was still incomplete. I have the logs with me which I have attached with this post.

Please help me uninstall traces of McAfee left in my system so that I can download afresh.

-Anupam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2012 - issues during,after download and in uninstalling

Use MCPR again but make sure it's the latest version from the link in Useful Links at the top of this page.

Also, is this Windows 7 SP1 and do you have IE9 installed, regardless of your choice of browser?  (If not install it).,

Those applications not installing are usually a sign that there is already security software onboard, is there any?

If you had another brand try running their removal tool if any.

0 Kudos
stoicak
Level 7

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2012 - issues during,after download and in uninstalling

Thanks for your reply Peter.

After posting my query here I took the help of customer care personnel through online chat facility of McAfee and came to know that I needed to have SP1 on my ssytem (already have IE 9). This has started a series of events.

Tried downloading SP1 from microsoft's site..progressed till 770MB of 905 MB and then the dowload stopped. Checked Windows Update  and found that the service was missing from windows services list and hence Windows update has not been working (hence no SP1 on my system). Since this dicovery I have been trying to figure out how to get Windows Update service back on my system and have been unsuccessful till now. Tried a couple of patches from FixIt, 2-3 windows update patches from another forum, tried a Malware removal tool as well but all of these to no avail.

So the solution path to downloading McAfee Total Protection 2012 looks like this : Get Windows Update services -> Get Sp1 -> Run MCPR -> Download McAfee Total Protection 2012.

I am stuck on the first step itself right now. If you can provide some way to get Windows Update service on my ssytem it would be great.

Thanks,

Anupam

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You mean Windows 7 SP1?  I was assuming you were up to date with Windows Updates, sorry.   Make sure you have Windows Update set to obtain updates for Windows and other components using Microsoft Update in its settings and to at least notify you when updates become available.   There are some hints here about installing SP1:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

It may be better to install it from the standalone version. Basically you'll have to uninstall McAfee as it isn't working properly and any other security software should be disabled and then try the service pack as your system isn't supported in its current state.

Microsoft provide free support for installation of service packs and updates generally should you need them.

If this is not Windows 7 please let me know.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/11/12 6:09:41 EST AM
0 Kudos
stoicak
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Peter.

I am running Windows 7 OS. At present I do not have Windows Update service present in my system (yea, there is no entry for Windows Update in services.msc ..guess some virus lapped it up).

Have been looking for solutions to get Windows Update service back. Guess I will process to install SP1 from microsoft's site and see if it helps. The link you gave in your reply for installing SP1 leads to a "risky" page and I am asked to move away if I have not seen such a warning. I promptly moved away. Will try installing SP1 from Microsoft's site and see waht happens.

Thanks,

Anupam

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The link I gave is MIcrosoft's site, so not sure what happened there.   Have you checked for infections?  Try Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both in the last link in my signature below.

0 Kudos
stoicak
Level 7

Tried Stinger and Malwarebytes Free from your signature link. No malicious files were detected.

I am still looking for ways to get Windows Update up and running and also back in services.msc listing.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you have missing items in services.msc then your operating system is corrupted.  Have you been running registry cleaners or optimizers or otherwise messing around in the registry?

Try doing a System File Check:  How To

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Also, to cover all bases, follow the Hijackthis suggestion further down that last link in my signature and post its log on one of those forums mentioned there for analysis along with your symptoms and what you've tried thus far.

0 Kudos