Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howsg
Level 7

McAfee Stinger

Jump to solution

McAfee Stinger

Hi everyone, I would like to know when using Stinger, must I turn-on my router all the time?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: McAfee Stinger

Jump to solution

here is my two cents:

Stinger would work even if you are offline (not connected to internet)

Stinger scans for rootkits, running processes, loaded modules, registry and directory locations known to be used by malware on a machine to keep scan times minimal. I would further recommend you to run scan in safe mode and also customize it to run scan on all the local drives. Refer Link

Stinger leverages GTI File Reputation and runs network heuristics.

GTI File Reputation technology extends the protection capabilities of McAfee products by providing access to an online cloud database containing file classification details to determine whether a file is malicious. Because the database of malicious file classifications is extensive and changes frequently, GTI File Reputation queries the online GTI cloud servers about potentially suspicious files to achieve and maintain the highest security levels.

If you are still apprehensive of running stringer scans while you are online. I would suggest you to run two sets of scan. First without network access and second with network access.

Cheers

Sanjay S

https://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

15 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

GTI File Reputation technology extends the protection capabilities of McAfee products by providing access to an online cloud database

As far as I read Stinger now uses Real Protect which checks on the cloud for new viruses as above.

Someone better read could elaborate.

Am I correct?

howsg
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper, thanks very much for the quick reply.

I have gather advises from other forum to remove the lan cable to Pc before doing the scan for virus, malware, spyware (vms), if not these vms will somehow disturb the scanning and not able to destroy any of it.

So could you please advise when using Stinger, should I unplug the lan cable?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Sorry do not have enough experience with it I can find out on Monday when we mods have our weekly phone call. Why stinger try some of these and they do not need to be online.

I would stay online just me if PC connected to another PC via lan yes remove that

catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

If my recollection is correct, we brought this up in the past. And your assumption is correct PK.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
howsg
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Peacekeeper and Catdaddy, thanks very much for the advice!

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

I am for my own knowledge asking about this in our Monday call.

howsg
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper, thanks very much!

Please let me know the answer too

0 Kudos
howsg
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper, any news? Thanks