cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

I'd like to second Rich's thanks to Peacekeeper, who is so aptly usernamed.  If McAfee had any sense, it would make Peacekeeper Vice President for Public Relations.

I also agree that McAfee's utter lack of official public relations has made this so much worse.  Haven't there been enough incidences of corporations keeping customer loyalty by getting out ahead of problems and taking the initiative to make the problem known and share information as it became available for McAfee to consider openness as a possible approach?

Although turning off N'guard totally solved my problem for a good while, for the last 2-3 weeks I've been having ongoing disconnects.  In fact, I've lost the connection about three times while writing this reply.  Could be something else but, as they say, when you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra.

The disconnects are a new issue see

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101346

This is number 1 fix priority as losing the net is really annoying.

Thanks for the promotion just wish they actually paid us but then we could not be impartial.

Word is setting your IP addy as fixed with fixed gateway etc might stop this. At least mine is like that and shows no such issue ( wife's PC I mean) mine is on beta 2012.

I have also been experienceing all the problems described, including regular internet disconnects.

The disconnect work around I have discovered that avoids restarting is to temporarily disable the McAfee firewall. You can set a time limit to this (it defaults to 15 minutes) so that it will restart an restore protection, but this should restore your internet connection without having to restart.

It hasn't stopped the disconnects happening (3 in the space of one hour this morning) but I've disabled Netguard as well now so will see if this works.

I agree that McAfee needs to sort this out as a top priority though - would be nice if someone from the company could post an update on this for us. With all due resepct to the vounteer moderators, leaving customers to their own devices or just recommending 'communities' for self help as Microsoft, Apple etc do is very poor customer service - they should establish a direct customer support service that actually responds to problems with directly employed support staff.

"Word is setting your IP addy as fixed with fixed gateway etc might stop this. At least mine is like that and shows no such issue ( wife's PC I mean) . . . "

Does this refer to the config . . . release/renew instruction in the service notice you cited above?  This works for me initially but doesn't hold till I next start Windows.  And then if I try to do it again, it just gets grumpy and says it's already released.  Does this suggest a different problem?  Thanks.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/242420#242420  is the main net issue thread.

I will get a mcafee staffer to update there tomorrow after our meeting call.

Re ip fixed I mean this setup the dns is from your IPS or you can use googles.

ips.jpg

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/06/12 3:04:39 PM

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore . . . .

Thanks.

That US slang for?

Confused ??

Oh, sorry.  It's what Dorothy says to her little dog, Toto, in the "Wizard of Oz" when they find themselves transported to Oz - Munchkinland, I guess . . . but well outside their known and comfortable world of the Kansas farm.  Like suddenly finding yourself in the Twilight Zone.  In this case, just loosely used to mean that  all this IP address stuff was not familiar to me. 

richenone
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 339 of 365

Dear Peacekeeper,

In going to http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 

it says to unistall but does not give me the option to Download or a URL to go to for the MCPR.exe file. If it is on that page please let me know and I will stand corrected. When searching online I found no download for the MCPR.exe file except thru a third party. Sorry if I don't really know which third party to trust to actually give me the right file but I should be directed to an actual McAfee site from this page. I will keep you informed when I get the chance to find a site I trust to download a McAfee uninstall. These are the time wasters that are hard to ignore and continue the agony of dealing with this problem.

Thank you,

Rich

Message was edited by: richenone on 6/1/12 6:26:50 PM CDT

OK!! When is this going to be fixed.. i have done EVERYTHING that has been suggested over the last month or so..  within the last hour, it has popped up at least 5 or 6 times, making me lose connection each time.. this is getting old...  i am STILL trying to be patient!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community