cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Service Host Problem

Very often, and usually just after start-up, a window pops up which tells me 'McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell McAfee about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this as confidentail and anonymous'. I'm then given two options 'Send Error Report' or 'Don't Send'. Could someone please tell me what the hell this is, what it means and how do I get it to stop ?

0 Kudos
364 Replies
JaiPrakash
Level 12

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Hi Robert,

Try to run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) this is an automated self-healing tool that can diagnose and fix many problems related to your McAfee product.

You can download and run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) from mvt.mcafee.com

By the way kindly update us with the following information’s:

McAfee Product: Total Protection / Internet Security, etc..?

Version details of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click About on the top right)

• McAfee Security Center:
  • McAfee Virus Scan:

DAT version:

• McAfee Personal Firewall:

Version details of Browser: Internet Explorer?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

Windows XP, McAfee Total Protection, I.E.8.

0 Kudos
JaiPrakash
Level 12

Hello Robert,

It’s just an incompatibility between one of the software that is installed on the PC which in no way compromises the security of the PC. However we are interested in finding out the incompatible software and getting this fixed for you. Please let us know if you are interested in a call back from our team . If yes, please click on my Avatar image and click on Send Private message and send me your concurrence .

Regards,

0 Kudos

I think it may be UTorrent.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hello Robert/Cara & martin,

As Jai said this might be a software incompatibility issue or has a chance of being the fault of a third party software that triggers this error,  When we had this issue reported some months back, we went ahead with calling back the affected users to collect McAfee related logs but then the thread went silent and no body else reported the issue . So we were kindo f stuck there, please let us know since its impacting our machines ,we would require some volunteers here mostly the affected users to provide us the logs that could be analyzed and take this issue further . 

For all three of you I have sent you with an email from Community forums for the call back process, please have it replied so that we could proceed further and nail this down!!!!

Regards,

0 Kudos
mgilbert
Level 7

Hi, I have started experiencing this problem in the last few days. I have Total Protection running on XP SP3, and I use Chrome browser although IE 8 is installed. No other software has recently been installed (but with all the automatic updates we have thrown at us these days who knows what might have triggered this).

In response to the above, I downloaded the MVT and ran it. It found 5 problems (1 registry error and 4 services not running), it fixed 4 of them but claims it cannot start my personal firewall. This is worrying because Security Centre claims it is up and running. What am I to believe?

Feel free to call on me to help resolve this problem. I am retired so can schedule time as necessary. I want this resolved.

Mike

0 Kudos
sanabatool
Level 7

http://www.webcam-steamate.com/cookies/42/b/happy.gif

I am a technologically challenged senior citizen, so please bear with me. My computer is a Dell OptiPlex760 with a 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo processor and I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) as my operating system.

Recently I have been having a problem with the McAfee program that apparently comes as part of my Verizon Internet service. When I'm on the Internet (and it can be AOL, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome), increasingly frequently a gray box pops up telling me that "McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close."

The box gives me an error signature:

SZ App Name: McSvHost.exe

SZ App Ver: 2.0.230.0

SZ Mod Name: Unknown

SZ Mod Ver: 0.0.0.0.

Offset: 0883eb68

I am then prompted to report the error to Microsoft, which I do, but nothing seems to happen except that my Internet connection shuts down. I reboot the computer and restart the modem, but when I go back online it's only a short time before the infernal box pops up again.

I've googled it looking for a solution, but in various online forums, other people say they have called Verizon about the problem and Verizon tells them to call McAfee. They call McAfee, and McAfee gives them a fix that doesn't work.

Is anyone here familiar with this problem, and is there a fix for it?

0 Kudos
drpad
Level 7

From what I am reading, it appears the only fix is to wait for the patch to be released. Hopefully that will occur soon. In the meantime, I have had luck with pulling up the security center, going to the firewall section and clicking on the "restore defaults" button. I then get a box saying Mcaffe has found a new internet connection. I click on that and I can continue working for awhile. I have also found that if there is any internet connectivity, you can run the McAfee Virtual Advisor, which often temporarily fixes the problem. Note that occasionally during the fix it shuts down the firewall, which can be manually restarted. Good luck! Hopefully the fix will be realeased soon as, a long time McAfee proponant, I have become increasingly frustrated.

0 Kudos
mizkelmo
Level 7

I"m new to this forum/group and I'm experiencing the same problems.  I have to admit I'm pretty discouraged.    I am living on very low income right now and sank $50.00 into McAfee Internet Security 2012.  I've had nothing but problems since then.  I get the McAfee Service Host error message as well and then I can't browse anything no matter which browser I use.  My computer is SO slow, it's infuriating and I can't afford to replace this program.   I'm being told I have a virus in the computer which makes me even more angry since I trusted McAfee to protect my computer from viruses.

I'm running Windows XP

It doesn't matter which browser I use, it affects all of them.  (Google chrome, IE, Firefox)

I also have issues with it shutting down Chrome.

I always send in the error reports but I have a feeling that nothing is done with those anyways.

I think I'm done with McAfee. Just not sure if I can afford another antivirus.

Message was edited by: mizkelmo on 08/05/12 6:17:52 CDT PM
0 Kudos