Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
condxb
Level 7

McAfee Service Host CPU Spikes

Dear All,

Looking for a bit of help.

I very recently bought a new Samsung Windows7 64-bit laptop.

However I am getting massive spikes in the CPU usage out of McSvHost.exe (up to as much 55%) for a few moments every 10 minutes or so causing everything else to shudder.

This happens most while using the internet but is not limited to simply listening to music through itunes.

I understand from looking at the discussions there is 'Service Host has encountered problems', I have yet to see this message, but may be linked.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Conor Spencer 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: McAfee Service Host CPU Spikes

That message was XP only and has been fixed. there is an issue where there are mcsvhost spikes when using utube and similair video sites and teh workaround seems to eb to for the time being disabling netguard

Netgurd is found by opening security centre and then web and email protection then firewall and netguard. Unselect the box and apply. Post back if that helps.

What is strange I do not get this though I am on the 2012 beta and my wife on win 7 64 bit is free of them as well.

0 Kudos
condxb
Level 7

Hi Tony,

I removed Apple Bonjour, as I saw some discussion about it in some of the threads, that really seemed to have made the problem stop.

I will give Netgaurd a try if it persists,

Cheers

Conor

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Bonjour removal was for the internet connection issue but if it works also who am I to say nay.

0 Kudos