Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theposh
Level 7

McAfee Security Scan Unavailable, constant pop-up

Jump to solution

Hello

I get constantly get a pop-up message saying McAfee Security Scan Unavailable.

"We cannot check your security status now necause your PC is not connected to the internet or the McAfee Security Scan is temporarily unavailable. Please connect to the internet and Click Retry, or try again later".

I get two options; Retry or Cancel. No matter which one I pick, the same thing happens, which is nothing at first, but then the pop.up returns. Repeat indefinately.

I am connected to the internet.

All other McAfee functions operate normally.

In the Windows Task Manager, I get a mcuicnt.exe that is causing the pop-ups.

The most annoying part is that I cannot work on my PC normally because the process mentioned above keeps deactivating the window I am working in.

I tried the Virtual Technician and it comes up with two errors which I'm not sure are related to this issue.

They are as follows:

SiteAdvisor, 2.8.304

1 process incorrect: C:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\McSaCore.exe

and

McAfee Home Network, 6.1.136

Product update required.

I am not using SiteAdvisor and McAfee is fully updated.

I am running on Windows XP fully updated.

Any advice?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Security Scan Unavailable, constant pop-up

Jump to solution

Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and check to see if you've inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus, if so uninstall it.

It is an optional download with some Adobe products (Flash etc) and possibly others and is not needed.  It's simply a sales tool.

You say XP fully updated, is it XP SP3 and do you have IE8 installed?     Whether or not you use IE is irelevent, McAfee and some other processes do, so it's important that IE is always the latest and at its default settings.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and check to see if you've inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus, if so uninstall it.

It is an optional download with some Adobe products (Flash etc) and possibly others and is not needed.  It's simply a sales tool.

You say XP fully updated, is it XP SP3 and do you have IE8 installed?     Whether or not you use IE is irelevent, McAfee and some other processes do, so it's important that IE is always the latest and at its default settings.

0 Kudos
theposh
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peter

Wow, that was fast.

It turned out indeed to be the Security Scan Plus that cause the mayhem. It has been removed and all systems are back to normal.

As a matter of fact, I did think about this before, but I assumed that the correct program was the Security Scan Plus and the faulty one was called Security Scan (without the Plus) and I couldn't find it. Well, there you have it. Silly me.

Thanks for very fast and to the point support.

Ken

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

LOL, glad it's sorted out.  Always keep an eye on those 3rd party downloads for extras that you may not want.    They're easy to miss and have caught me out on occasion.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

BTW forgot you mentioned that you don't use SiteAdvisor.  That's an old version and I assume it's installed but disabled.  You can uninstall it by selecting McAfee's main item in Add or Remove and it should ask you if you want to uninstall all or just part of the suite.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/03/13 8:55:25 EDT AM
0 Kudos
theposh
Level 7

Jump to solution

Actually, it had it's own entry in the Add or Remove.

I uninstalled it and it's now gone.

Yes, I haven't used it since...ever, so it was an old one just sitting there.

Cheers

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK, all the best.

0 Kudos
martincube
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've been getting the same pop-up all day as well. I'm reluctant to remove the program in case it affects my security. I think it was installed in 2010 & is marked as 'Rarely' used.
I'm not computer savvy enough to dig too deeply into the problem but when I tried to remove the program, there was a warning message to tell me not to do so. If it isn't going to compromise my anti-virus protection then I can carry on. It just seems odd that it would start doing it after being problem-free for so long.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

If you have (McAfee) Security Scan Plus listed in your Control Panel > Program list then uninstall it, as I previously explained.  It provides no security whatsoever and is simply a marketing tool.

0 Kudos
martincube
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok, thanks. I thought I'd double check to be sure. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos