cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Scanner Service is making CPU utilization at 100%

Hi, I noticed when a scan is running that my CPU utilization climbs up to 100%, climbs down, then back up again, lmost like a yoyo.

I have Internet security 2015 from Bell Canada

MacAfee Security Center V14.0

Build 14.0.1029

AFFD 1056

The only other security solution I have is Malwarebytes, free version, so not active, no realtime scanning, no current scans and not running

Hope somebody has some guidance for me

Thanks

Will

3 Replies

Re: McAfee Scanner Service is making CPU utilization at 100%

When You installed Mcafee did you have another AV installed prior to it. If so you need to run its own removal software prior to installing Mcafee. That is1 possibility.

Another is

What are your CPU specs if low scans can run at high cpu. Mine seem to sit on 41% this on an original I7975 cpu.

Hi Peacekeeper. The laptop had a trial version of McAfee for 30 days installed with it.

When I installed the full version of McAfee, the trial version was automatically uninstalled by the full version (I got a message that said it was doing so). Do you think some remnants might still be there ?

CPU specs are Intel® Core™ i7 4510U Processor,

8 GBs Ram,

2 GB Nvidia Graphics card,

Asus TP500L laptop

Yes, I also have the "use min resources" box ticked

Hope this helps

Well if the trial was say antivirus and you installed say Total protection yes you need to uninstall via windows Programs and features followed by running MCPR the removal tool.  Worth trying anyway as some installs get messed up.

Specs just ok Just joking far better than mine

MCPR here

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool