cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Remover frozen

I recently bought a brand new laptop. I installed my preferred antivirus software and I am now trying to delete mcafee off of my new computer since I do not need it. I have tried going to the admin window and deleting it. When I do this I get an error message saying "Mcafee UI has stopped working". After trying this a few different times with a restart in the middle I went online and found the "MCPR removal tool" I downloaded this tool and followed the steps on screen clicking agree to everything it asked for. It said it would take a few minutes so I went to do some other things I came back over an hour later to discover it was still exactly where I had left it on the load bar. It gets to the point where it is maybe 10% done and it shows "Removing product MFP" and it freezes. I have tried it several more times. I have re downloaded it and tried again with the new copy. I have restarted my computer several times. Each time the result is the same "Removing product MFP" and it stops. I would understand if the laptop were old but I have had it literally less than 6 hours at the time of my writing this and all I have done so far is install a new antivirus software and set a new wallpaper on the machine that's it.

So how do I delete McAfee?

13 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: McAfee Remover frozen

Actually you should always remove any existing Security software on your machine ( before ) installing a new one. I would even make sure the present Security application you installed has not become corrupt. Having said this..did you remove your McAfee software from your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Restart.

Then run the MCPR Tool and restart. Try following this procedure and apprise us of your results.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Ok so I tried what you suggested and the exact same thing occurred. I even went so far as to uninstall the new antivirus software I just downloaded and installed. Then I restarted the computer and I tried again. I tried deleting the program from the control panel and I tried downloading the remover tool again and trying it again with a restart in the middle again and the exact same error messages came up.

Is there a more effective remover tool I can use or maybe some workaround way to figure out why I can't delete the program normally?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Strange? Other than contacting Technical Support

You could possibly try Revo Uninstaller.  Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, s...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

I have a very similar issue as the other person and even after trying Revo Uninstaller Pro, it does not rectify the problem. 

I tried to update McAfee on my new laptop but then Windows restarted to complete updates. I tried to continuing installing the McAfee update but I was told to restart the computer.

Then I followed all the instructions on here and decided to use Revo as a last resort. It said it had cleaned it and deleted all the files but when I tried to update McAfee again, I was again prompted by the McAfee installer that I had to restart the computer and now I am going in circles.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Just following up,were you able to resolve your issue?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Successfully moved from Live Support to General Discussion  > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

I'm having exactly the same problem.  It is frustrating to not be able to remove a program that I didn't install and don't want.  Were there any solutions which aren't posted above as none of these is working?

Thanks

Highlighted

Highlighted

After running the MCPR for several times it always get stuck on the same step, where it is 'Removing Product MFP'

after restarting several times it is still get frozen at this same step

McAfee has become a nuisance and a very bad product 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community