cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Keeps Getting Stuck At "Checking for Updates" 0% and Computer Wakes Up Randomly from McAfee

This has been the 5th time this week where I have to restart my computer because McAfee can't seem to get past downloading updates. I have run MVT, uninstalled, ran the cleanup, re-installed and still it has not been successful. My subscription is current and I'm about fed up with the fact that there is no way to stop any processes from task manager or stop the services. Is there anything I can do?

I also noticed that there was a scheduled task that was added in to wake up my computer to run "McAfee Auto Maintenance Task Agent". Why would we want to wake up a computer to run maintenance? This should be notified to the end user that these tasks will be run and then given an option to wake up or run in background.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Keeps Getting Stuck At "Checking for Updates" 0% and Computer Wakes Up Randomly from McAfee

There is no feature in Consumer products to wake up a machine to do anything, only an option in certain suites to shut it down once a scan is finished.

I'm not familiar with "Auto Maintenance Task Agent" - could you clarify what McAfee product(s) you have installed?

Look in both the Start/All Programs menu and your Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Also what OS is this?   Is the machine in question in a sleep state only and not fully powered off?

The update issue is being fixed shortly by a patch that is slowly being released around the world.

exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Keeps Getting Stuck At "Checking for Updates" 0% and Computer Wakes Up Randomly from McAfee

Additionally it might be wise to scan for malware using Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, both found under "Free 3rd Party Tools" in the last link below.

By the way, I amended the above post with some additional remarks.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools