cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pugwa5h
Level 7

McAfee Internet Security 2016 - Exclude Folder from Real Time Scan.

Hi,

I have a app called Vorpx that when starting creates a temp file that it uses. However as soon as its created it gets quarantined and the app fails to load.

The file is created in  c:\users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Vorpx

The file has a random name each time the app is run so I cannot use a file name exclusion.

eg.

F56AA4B02-0.TMP

2A61FCD3-0.TMP

D21EE1EE-0.TMP

I want to exclude that folder, however there does not seem to be an option. Only the ability to exclude a specific filename. The only solution is to switch off Real Time Scanning which defeats the purpose of this product.

Does anyone know how to exclude a specific folder? or if wildcards can be used within the file exclusion? (Naturally only for that folder)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2016 - Exclude Folder from Real Time Scan.

With the New Next Generation Scanning Engine, unfortunately you can only exclude files. Even then if deemed Suspicious/Unknown they will will also be detected.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
pugwa5h
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I've just found that the application thats running as a service is also now getting Quarantined, Presumably as its generating the temp files. As there is no method to stop McAfee from Quarantining these legitimate files i guess i'll have to move to another antivirus product that supports exclusions at a folder level. Im happy that the application is legitimate. Shame as i've been a big fan of McAfee for well over 10 years now,

Also today my son found his game "Just Cause 3" also got Quarantined with the executable removed after performing a steam install. Seems McAfee is quite sensitive.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

You are quite welcome. Please note that most Major Anti-Virus Vendors initially quarantine Steam/Minecraft/Foxhud Downloaders/Unpackers due to revised Version updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos