cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Internet Security 2016 - Exclude Folder from Real Time Scan.

Hi,

I have a app called Vorpx that when starting creates a temp file that it uses. However as soon as its created it gets quarantined and the app fails to load.

The file is created in  c:\users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp\Vorpx

The file has a random name each time the app is run so I cannot use a file name exclusion.

eg.

F56AA4B02-0.TMP

2A61FCD3-0.TMP

D21EE1EE-0.TMP

I want to exclude that folder, however there does not seem to be an option. Only the ability to exclude a specific filename. The only solution is to switch off Real Time Scanning which defeats the purpose of this product.

Does anyone know how to exclude a specific folder? or if wildcards can be used within the file exclusion? (Naturally only for that folder)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2016 - Exclude Folder from Real Time Scan.

With the New Next Generation Scanning Engine, unfortunately you can only exclude files. Even then if deemed Suspicious/Unknown they will will also be detected.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I've just found that the application thats running as a service is also now getting Quarantined, Presumably as its generating the temp files. As there is no method to stop McAfee from Quarantining these legitimate files i guess i'll have to move to another antivirus product that supports exclusions at a folder level. Im happy that the application is legitimate. Shame as i've been a big fan of McAfee for well over 10 years now,

Also today my son found his game "Just Cause 3" also got Quarantined with the executable removed after performing a steam install. Seems McAfee is quite sensitive.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

You are quite welcome. Please note that most Major Anti-Virus Vendors initially quarantine Steam/Minecraft/Foxhud Downloaders/Unpackers due to revised Version updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community