cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Internet Security 2011 - How to find Virus Definition Level?

Hi,

My company is currently rolling out VPN access for a few teams. One of our policies is that we require to see our users current virus definition level. I have no prior experience with McAfee IS2011 and I can't seem to find a trial anywhere.

I'm wondering, since there must be some of you out there that are using 2011, could you possibly provide me on a short tutorial that I can provide to my McAfee IS2011 users on how to find the virus definition level? Or at the bare minimum, where to find the last update? All I need is for them to grab a screenshot so I can check that it is in line with the latest update rolled out by McAffee.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sam.

3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Internet Security 2011 - How to find Virus Definition Level?

Assuming the home/consumer edition here.

Double-click the taskbar icon (by the clock) or right-click it and select to open SecurityCenter

Click 'About' and the top right corner.

Often you will find it running behind the published DAT on the McAfee download page as it takes a while for updates to proliferate across the world's servers to all 40 million customers.

That's no reason for panic if the SecurityCenter is telling you all is well.  Mine is Total Protection but the procedure is the same.

Capture.JPG

Free trials for the UK home products are here:  http://home.mcafee.com/store/free-antivirus-trials

Note: With the upcoming 2012 editions now in beta testing, updates are handled differently and it wont be easy to check.  We are awaiting word on that.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/12 9:15:43 EST AM
Tristan
Level 15
Message 3 of 4

Not sure if the consumer version shares registry settings with the corporate version but if you want to test DAT levels by querying the registry then you could try the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine\AVDateVersion

The DAT level is store as a hex value in this key

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 4

Yes there's that way too.

(Click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG