The problem is that the path to file in registry is mismatched and that correcting it will make McAfee fine.
The mfeapfk is one of McAfee's important file necessary for proper functioning of the Product.
Changing the registry values in my post above will not create any issues until it's not been done the right way. You can do it yourself or seek help from Tech Support.
Thanks, Selvan. I finally tried the workaround and it solved the issue. However, I have some technical questions to ask and I'll be glad if you can enlighten me on them.
1) I noticed that the paths used in the registry contains " \ " instead of the " / " you typed here in this thread. I decided to follow the default and used " \ ". So will this affect anything? Or is " / " and " \ " interchangeable in this case?
2) Aside from changing the registry path, you also asked us to change Start Value from 2 to 3. May I know, in layman terms, what does this do to McAfee or any other related software? I'm curious to know of its function.
3) May I know what is the actual function of mfeapfk.sys? Is it an original Windows file used by McAfee or a McAfee exclusive file that was installed along with McAfee? I ask this as I did not notice anything amiss when this service was not starting. Everything still seemed normal all this while.
I hope I can learn a thing or two from your answers.
Glad that you are Okay.
1) If am not wrong the Default "\" should work and not the one I mentioned. Hope you'll forgive me .
2) The registry values decide the function of that specific key. Assume the key is related to specific function say "Sleep Mode" Default value can be "1" which keeps it ON. when you want it OFF value should be changed to "0". The values other than 1, 0 (2,3,.4 etc) seems to have additional functions that is specific to the Key / Application. ( Try windows Forums for Digging Deeper )
3) The "mfeapfk.sys" is one of the necessary driver file required for Proper functioning of McAfee - It isn't a good idea to post the exact functunality of such file in Public forums since am not authorised to do that. Hope you understand..!
I have only changed the registry-key "start" from 2 to 3.
It is not necessary to change System32\drivers\mfeapk.sys to C:\...
(I compared the keys with my windows 7 laptop that has an old McAfee Installtion and the PC windows 8.1 installed McAfee last week).
Please follow the instructions in post 3 - use "\" instead of "/". The post 15 is just a sample for explaining deathstalker's query on post 14. Please do not confuse.