cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobk
Level 7

McAfee Doubled installs?

Currently my desktop shows two McAfee icons were installed,  I have no idea when or why the second showed up.
The original was McAfee Security Center,  Properties Target shows "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe"    with no 'Start In'
The second one is McAfee Scan Plus, Properties Target shows     "C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\3.11.474\McUICnt.exe" SecurityScanner.dll ,

it's 'Start in:'  is  "C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\3.11.474"

First question what & why was that second installed?.   I assume that showed up when an update was performed.

I know there's many basic functions of the product,  but what is difference? I.E. what does each do?

Second question,  Why are there two "mfefire.exe"  running?   (via taskmgr)   Both are from the same path name.
Doe this have anything to do with the two different icons?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee Doubled installs?

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall "McAfee Security Scan Plus".

It's basically adware that comes as an optional download with such things as Adobe products, some Torrent downloads too.

So always look out for "extras" when downloading and installing software or updating.

What it does is scan your machine and make recommendations for security software.

Perfectly safe but unnecessary as you already have the software suite installed.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
bobk
Level 7

Peter - Thanks much ..   Generally I'm careful with PUPs,  interestingly  a PUP flusher didn't find that crud!

Though I searched via google,  I haven't seen a why mfefire.exe is doubled,  So though you got the 'correct answer'
I'll hold clicking your reply for a bit..

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Sorry I overlooked that part.  I too have two mfefire items - curious in that they both point to the same location in the core.

I'll try to research that some more, meanwhile the Moderators may have something to say.  I'll alert them.

​ - any ideas as to why 2 mfefire items in Task Manager?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I noticed the (2) mfefire processes along with the (2) mfevtps processes when my machine (Upgraded) to Version/Build 15.1.156. In addition if you pay close attention, (McShield) will only display as a 'Running process' now, when a new daily (Engine Version)  installs.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

​Yes it would be interesting to know why they appear twice.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I remember asking MarkR during one of our calls about this. I will look back through the minutes and see what was said ;-)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

Moved from Community Support to General Discussion > Discussions

As it is a more appropiate area

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos