cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fatal
Level 8

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012 will not activate (Help Me PLEASE)

Jump to solution

I booted up my Dell Inspiron  N5050 one day and I notice my McAffee software will not update. I try to manually update that also fails then McAfee suggests that I re-install it. I get through the re-instalation process error-free until I get to the activation point and the "Please wait while we connect to McAfee.com" screen will not go away or let me run my AntiVirus software.

McAfee.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fatal
Level 8

Re: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012 will not activate (Help Me PLEASE)

Jump to solution

Using a backup registry worked, and it even let me update windows again. Thank you all so much for helping me on New Years Day, and I will never think about using any other AntiVirus software besides McAfee. Happy New Year to you all! 

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It appears you are using a wireless connection, correct?   Do other application connect to the Internet OK?    I see that Windows Action center is trying to alert you to an error, that may have some bearing.

Is this Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated?   Do you have IE9?

Open IE9 and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset.  OK any prompts then close IE.

Reopen it and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

Try activating again.

If that fails try phoning Technical Support - it's a free call and linked through Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/01/13 6:39:42 EST AM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's possible that the mcafee.com servers are down.  So I suggest that you contact Support directly as I previously suggested.  They are available by phone or online chat.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/01/13 7:42:06 EST AM
0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Jump to solution

Fatal,

If issue persists even after following Peter’s steps please let me know it is your first time activation or you have already activated McAfee ?

By checking your records I found that you have McAfee virus scan plus expires 06/01/2016, means your McAfee was already activated

If the McAfee is already activated no need to activate the McAfee again, please follow my instructions below so you can download & install the McAfee product Online which doesn’t need activation

Run the below McAfee Removal Tool to remove the McAfee Completely

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the Machine

Run the below McAfee Preinstall Tool (used to delete Temp, Cookies etc.,)

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Follow the instructions given in the below link & reinstall the McAfee

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342

Restart the Machine after completing the Installation

Good Luck J

0 Kudos
fatal
Level 8

Jump to solution

I followed all of your steps and re-installed but now when I try to start McAfee it just appears as a blank box and will continue to stay blank until I close it. Could it be because Windows will not update for me?

Message was edited by: fatal on 1/1/13 2:32:21 PM CST

Message was edited by: fatal on 1/1/13 2:33:25 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try the 'Blank' link in my signature below.  It's caused by jscript corruption and the solutions there should help, particularly #1.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

By the way, if you are in the habit of using registry cleaners, stop as this is a typical result.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Jump to solution

Fatal,

Follow the instructions given in the below article and check with the issue

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101233 

0 Kudos
fatal
Level 8

Jump to solution

I followed each step but McAfee still appears blank, even the Command Prompt tests all came back sucessful. Also I have been using System Mechanic to clean the registry, I will stop that now. But could I try using a registry backup maybe?                             SM.png

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

If one of those is prior to when this started try it by all means.  It may require a reboot.  Otherwise contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos