Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidv.
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 19

McAfee 2016 AntiVirus Plus - Unlimited Devices

My 2015 Antivirus Plus subscription for 3 PC's (one running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and two running Windows XP SP3) recently expired, so I purchased a new 1 year subscription to McAfee 2016 AntiVirus Plus for Unlimited Devices.  I activated my new key code on www.mcafee.com/activate and downloaded & installed the new version on the Windows 7 PC without incident.  When I try to do the new version installation on the other two XP PC's, the process doesn't complete.  I run the provided setup.exe file, and it begins to check the PC for threats to insure a trouble-free installation.  When the spinning gear wheel stops, the download process fails to begin and instead I get a window that says "Download Cannot Continue".  It cites either a problem with my Internet connection or busy McAfee servers.  There is nothing wrong with my Internet connection, so I click "Retry" and I get the same information again.

What might the problem be?

Thanks.

18 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 19

Re: McAfee 2016 AntiVirus Plus - Unlimited Devices

Moved to the General Discussion area.

XP being a defunct OS is no longer supported I'm afraid.

The old software worked on it only because it was there before the OS expired I would imagine, meaning that the versions would have been restricted to ones that no longer are valid.

A thought besides XP being way past getting security updates and Mcafee dropping support any day when you install several copies on several Pcs the second and third ones should be done from your account and not using the setup file. Try that if no go maybe McAfee has reached the support time limit already. You will only get 12.9 installed if any.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 19

Thanks PK, didn't think of that angle.

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 5 of 19

I may be mistaken? The highest Version supported is 12.8? May have been a typographical error  (Which I do all the time).

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Could be I thought there was a 12.9 for xp. Ok there was a 12.9 but not released to XP so 12.8 best one can get on XP

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 7 of 19

I was busy going back through my 'Notes'. Yes I think 12.8 was the latest Version/Build for XP.

Thanks Mate

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

No problem Mate

davidv.
Level 7
Message 9 of 19

Thanks PK for the suggestion, but I'm trying to do this from "My Account".  How do you do this without the setup.exe file?  Every time I select Download to the PC I'm on, it downloads the setup.exe file to my Firefox download directory, which I then double click on to start the "checking for threats" action.  That fails, so no s/w gets downloaded.  Am I missing something?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 19

In Programs uninstall SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor whichever is listed.

It'll be offered as an extra feature with the suite your installing anyway.

Also save the setup file to your desktop first.

Then right-click > Properties and unblock it (if blocked)

Then try it.