Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmanny
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

McAPExe steels CPU capacity

After renewal of license and installing newest McAfee version ( under WIN7 6.1 SP1, all updates) a process named McAPExe is running continuously and steeling more then 60% of CPU capacity. This process cannot be stopped nor deleted as it is access protected. How to come around? There were not such problems with the older version some days before.

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAPExe steels CPU capacity

What version of Mcafee have you and what Affid number? This best passed onto the mods when they come around or for you to call support as I have never seen the Access Protection process causing such an issue in 15 years here.

Mine on R19 version is stable using 0% cpu

You can disable AP in the General settings and alerts but It is never recommended to leave it off . Maybe turn it off reboot and reenable it.

Highlighted
mmanny
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Hi Peacekeeper,

thanks for your reply:

I have never seen the Access Protection process causing such an issue in 15 years

-> there are some hundred similiar issues in the community forum, actual and dating back some  years

had lot of suggestions from support, like deinstall, run MCPR, MCPreInstall, installed several times without success. Meanwhile found a rough solution: dummy renamed McAPExe in Registry, since that the process disappeared and no longer is disturbing. Question remains if McAfee Total Protection does its job without that process.

By the way: you cannot turn off AP with the means of Task Manager, it is access protected even against Admin rights

Greetings from Germany

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

What I was implying is there have been several processes that caused CPU increases in the McAfee product but AP never was one or at least I never saw it here.

Also I mentioned that AP can be disabled in that General Settings area and when it is such you can I think remove it via CTL ALT DEL or rather task manager.

I know what the process does but when I was a Mod here we were told not to release that info. Let us just say it would not affect scans but  disabling it is not a great idea for the reason we were told.

Strangely In my 15 years here I have never has an increase in cpu. or memory. It seems to affect some and not others .

mmanny
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

"Also I mentioned that AP can be disabled in that General Settings area and when it is such you can I think remove it via CTL ALT DEL or rather task manager"

-> As already mentioned you cannot turn off/disable AP with the means of Task Manager or change its properties, it is absolutely access protected even against Admin rights. So it  seems to be a very important type of code for McAfee, as you indicated. I don't like such a secret software on my NB, especially as I payed for it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Send you a PM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community