cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCPR not removing product

Jump to solution

Hi

History:
Way back in 2015 I was tasked with sourcing and providing a laptop to a small charity. The laptop (Windows 10 Pro) came with 30 day trial of a McAfee product - the standard AV offered at that time.

A couple of weeks ago the person who has been using it contacted us and asked if we could take a look at it as it was slow.

During the troubleshooting process, I realised they had never renewed nor replaced the product so I uninstalled it via Settings. However, I also discovered that three McAfee services persisted beyond several reboots:

McAfee Firewall Core Service
McAfee Service Controller
McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

I am unable to stop the service controller service (which is the only McAfee service running) and am unable to disable the other two - as expected.

I have downloaded MCPR and tried running it several times. The first couple of times I left it running for an hour but it stalled on Removing product MFP. I left it running before I left work yesterday and after 17 hours it was still stalled at exactly the same point:

mcafee.jpg

Can anyone assist me with the removal of these three services, please?

Thank you.

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: MCPR not removing product

Jump to solution

Sounds as if the file could be corrupt calling support will get you assistance you may need to escalate the call to a higher level tech but I assume they can manually remove the registry entries for you.

Alternatively a mod who is a higher level tech in support might pass by and help.

Call McAfee support

Ok found this Altered it a bit as 2010 post and the program was different then with less folders throughout windows

Reboot into safe mode with networking and

Check and delete McAfee folders from C:/program files  C:/program files (x86) C: /Program data & common files and anywhere else you see them

Run the removal tool again  and restart the computer , the removal should go on fine.

Please report back if you have any problems on the same

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Sounds as if the file could be corrupt calling support will get you assistance you may need to escalate the call to a higher level tech but I assume they can manually remove the registry entries for you.

Alternatively a mod who is a higher level tech in support might pass by and help.

Call McAfee support

Ok found this Altered it a bit as 2010 post and the program was different then with less folders throughout windows

Reboot into safe mode with networking and

Check and delete McAfee folders from C:/program files  C:/program files (x86) C: /Program data & common files and anywhere else you see them

Run the removal tool again  and restart the computer , the removal should go on fine.

Please report back if you have any problems on the same

Jump to solution

Hi, Peacekeeper, thank you for responding.

I booted into Safe Mode and removed the McAfee folders under the destinations listed - that went fine. Next, I ran the removal tool but it failed with an error about not being able to read the required permissions, and was unable to display the log because it was in use by another process.

I restarted the laptop and ran the tool again. This time it progressed past the point it had reached earlier and moved up to VS but came back with Incomplete Uninstallation. Looking through the log file there is a lot of (expected) entry/file not found instances and the McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service was still listed. I rebooted again and the service was gone.

Thank you very much for your help.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

This jumping through hoops is usually not necessary I have never had an issue in the many years I have used it .

At least it is now gone