cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhcernese
Level 7

MCPR asking for Family Protection password, was never used

I'm attempting to recover from my system shutting down before the add/remove programs was finished uninstalling McAfee.  (I was recovering from a corrupted .js file).

I ran MCPR.exe and it's asking me for a McAfee Family Protection username and password.  I've never installed/configured/used such a feature, this is my personal desktop server.

Running the regular uninstaller doesn't show any products to uninstall and yet firewall and siteadvisor are still running.

I can't uninstall, I may try installing and then uninstall again to get to a clean known state.

Why is MCPR asking for that and how can I get around it?

file version 6.0.151.0

Dan

Message was edited by: dhcernese on 8/19/12 10:22:36 AM CDT
0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: MCPR asking for Family Protection password, was never used

Not sure if this is the problem here but today it surfaced that a recent update is causing havoc with the software and it's recommended to uninstall, run the cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall.

See the announcement at the top of the main home page:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/

What happens if you just ignore that prompt or just leave it blank?   If it wont continue try running MCPR in Safe Mode.

0 Kudos
dhcernese
Level 7

I tried every possible way to get by and could not.  It seems after an install things seem ok, although I'm still tempted to do an uninstall again.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes an install will replace the software, so all hopefully will be OK.

0 Kudos