cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve7
Level 9

Losing Internet Connection (Again)

I went looking for the other threads about this issue and they've been deleted. 

I had the problem with browsers that would suddenly stop working, January into February and always had to reboot to knock it back into place.  It was cleared up a couple of weeks ago through a McAfee update.   However, there's a couple of issues.  1) There's times a small window will pop up (from the wifi adapter) telling me that internet connection has been lost.   But I guess it lasts a few seconds because I can try and go to a web site and it'll work, and another pop up window will tell me I'm connected again.   So connection is lost and then quickly regained.   I have not had to reboot.

But I was just in a Skype conversation and suddenly lost connection.  Not sure how long it took the Internet connection to return because I was trying to re-establish the Skype call, which I wasn't able to do.  I rebooted, but the desktop icons appeared and then vanished, so I brought up the task manger and I think it were the CPU and Disk - their usage were going through the roof.

Never did re-establish the Skype call (this could be a Skype issue, not a McAfee issue).

2) When I click to open a new browser tab or click a command, sometimes it might take 15 seconds for it to work (and three or four tabs would open because I clicked multiple times).   When I hover over a command, the cursor/arrow doesn't change to a pointed hand, it stays a cursor/arrow.    The tab or command not engaging happens maybe three times a day.  So not often, but it shouldn't be happening at all.  And this wasn't happening until after I got the McAfee update which fixed my original issue.

3)  The last few days I noticed that (some) web sites and emails are taking noticeably longer to load.

This is all with Firefox.  Haven't really tried I.E. yet.

So I don't know if all this is related to the original issue I had and/or the "fix" I got a couple of weeks ago, or something else entirely.

FWIW, I got the new McAfee interface, I guess it was about two weeks ago.

I have version 14.0,  14.0 R 13.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Losing Internet Connection (Again)

Could this be the discussion you were talking about?

Interface

I find it highly unlikely a thread has been deleted. Also checking the *Personal Firewall* section could be beneficial.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
steve7
Level 9

catdaddy wrote:

Could this be the discussion you were talking about?

Interface

I find it highly unlikely a thread has been deleted. Also checking the *Personal Firewall* section could be beneficial.

I'd doubt the interface is causing this issue, or whatever software and/or coding is behind it, but who knows? 

There were two threads this issue was going through, in Jan. and Feb.,  I posted to both but none of them are showing up in my "content."  One was titled: "McAfee Total Protection Corrupts Any Browser?"  When I clicked the link from an email (that I got after a recent posting), it says "The item does not exist.  It may have been deleted."

I did restore defaults to the Firewall today.  We'll see if it does any good.   But web sites are still sluggish on loading.

One thing, after my reboot today, I got a warning that the Web Advisor had been turned off.   But I didn't turn it off.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Here is the Discussion you were talking about;

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
steve7
Level 9

Oh, ok, thanks.   Wonder why I got the error page and why my posts in that thread aren't showing up in my "content."

I created this post to see if anyone else is experiencing these same issues - post "fix."

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

To be honest I have no idea. I simply wanted you to know that it was there. We have no reason to delete any posts, especially if they follow the Community Terms of Use.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

What is your OS? Here is some fixes for Windows10,and they have some for Windows7/8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
steve7
Level 9

catdaddy wrote:

What is your OS? Here is some fixes for Windows10,and they have some for Windows7/8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection -issues

Using 8.1.   Great, now I have to go through all this again?   I don't think it'll do any good.  Didn't do any good in Jan. or Feb., and I troubleshooted everything.   So as long as it's working....

My subscription runs out in a couple of months.  I'll probably uninstall McAfee when it does, use MS Firewall and A/V and see if it makes a difference.   

0 Kudos