cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arthurn
Level 7

Long scan time and scheduled scans always lock up.

Ok I have two questions.  I am running windows xp home edition with service pack 3.  Previous mcafee antiviral software ran fine.  Typical scan time about 2 hours.  With  the new mcafee anti-virus plus, my scan time is 14 hours on a manual scan.  Is this normal?

Second I have yet to run a scheduled scan.  After about 10 hours, the computer locks up.  I have tried unloading and reloading and this was of no help.  Just wondering if anyone has any clues?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ladyncats
Level 7

Re: Long scan time and scheduled scans always lock up.

I had same problem & found the answer in one of the other discussions here.  Check the file under Computer C:\users\all users\Application Data.  If you have a shortcut in the Application Data file pointing back to Application Data, delete it.

It ends up being an endless loop pointing itself back to Application Data & using up the computer memory.

Hope this helps you.  It immediately fixed my problem.

:=)

0 Kudos
ladyncats
Level 7

Make sure you keep the 1st Application Data file, by the way.

Now if I could only figure out how to get McAfee to let my wireless printer print!  Sigh..... off to look for the settings I need.

0 Kudos
arthurn
Level 7

Thanks, will check it out.

0 Kudos
arthurn
Level 7

Now virus scan locks computer up with manual scan.  Ran virtual technitian.  All that did was update a dat file.  Not clear what to do next.  Thinking about just removing it and trying something else but have a few computers with mcafee.  Wish I could go back to the older version, that gave me no trouble.

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Try running the McAfee Virtual Technician again and see if it finds anything else. I would also suggest you contact Technical Support Chat and open a service ticket with them. Chat has the ability to remote connect into your computer to see if there is anything conflicting with McAfee software and has many tools that can be used to rectify issues such as yours. You need to give them permission to do so and they can walk you through some steps to help them to help you. It would also be a good idea to post the ticket number here on the forum to reference back to in the event you would need to contact chat again. Chat can be contacted under Technical Support in the Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
arthurn
Level 7

Thanks,

I did run virtual technician, actually 3 times.  Was able then to run a custom scan to completion.  Still takes 8 or more hours to run.  Still don't know if this is normal.  Will see if it runs a scheduled scan.  If it doesn't, I will do chat when I have time to just sit in front of the box.

Thanks againg.

0 Kudos