cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btasm
Level 7

Keyboard won't function after recent update

Yesterday, after receiving a pop-up message advising to install the most recent McAfee update, I installed it. Immediately after my computer restarted post-install, my keyboard ceased functioning. Indeed I could not type in the User Account password on my Vista system. The device/keyboard manager no longer lists my keyboard as an option. And I can't assess any administrator functions since I cannot type in any password.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Keyboard won't function after recent update

You don't mention what type of keyboard it is or how it connects to your computer but have you tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it and/or possibly updating whatever software is appropriate?

0 Kudos
btasm
Level 7

It's the standard keyboard which came with my HP computer and has always functioned well. But it is clearly not the keyboard itself. I've connected and reconnected and attached the keyboard successfully on another computer. Conversely, I've taken an identical keyboard, attached it to the affected computer, and it does not function. Most importantly, the keyboard is no longer an option as a device. It's a software issue. Something wiped it out. And, again, it occurred immediately after installing the McAffee update.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It could be that VirusScan has quarantined the driver and.or software, why is anyone's guess.  Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Adcanced Menu (bottom)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files to see if there's a clue there.

Try restoring it.

0 Kudos
CopyRon
Level 10

Is this a USB keyboard or PS2?

Does the mouse still work?

0 Kudos
btasm
Level 7

PS2. Mouse still works.