cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Keyboard typing incorrect characters

Jump to solution

Hi, i received a pop up asking me to renew my mcafee account. It looked fake so I refused to pay. Since then my keyboard inputs have shown the wrong characters on the screen. I have run a scan and checked my language settings which are fine. It is impossible to use. Thanks 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: Keyboard typing incorrect characters

Jump to solution

Hello @Stevenu2uk 

We are sorry to hear that your keyboard started to malfunction after the fake popup that appeared on the computer.

To make sure your computer is free from Malware, please update McAfee[right click on "M" icon on system tray] and then run a Full Scan.

If the problem still occurs, please download McAfee Stinger tool, run the tool and check.

Also, try connecting the keyboard to a different system and check. This is to make sure there is no problem with the keyboard.

Let us know after following these steps.

Regards,
Madhan M 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Out of interest was your subscription due? Another thing to you can do after Madhan's suggestions is to run some of the free scanners mentioned here. They are a good supplement to Mcafee scanners but not a replacement

Antispyware tools

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Madhan 

Thanks so much for your reply. I scanned my laptop using the stinger and the mcafee anti virus. Nothing has shown. My keyboard still types the wrong characters. Peacekeeper suggested, amongst other ulgood suggestions, rebooting from a previous start up. I attempted this but when I get to the point at choosing safe mode all the options flash continuously and then stop at option 1 when eventually I choose. By accident I also realised that a brand new ebay account has been set up, there is no activity on it. I'm not sure what is going on, my mcafee is always updated. Not sure what I can do next. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks Steven 

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hello @Stevenu2uk 

We are sorry to hear that your keyboard started to malfunction after the fake popup that appeared on the computer.

To make sure your computer is free from Malware, please update McAfee[right click on "M" icon on system tray] and then run a Full Scan.

If the problem still occurs, please download McAfee Stinger tool, run the tool and check.

Also, try connecting the keyboard to a different system and check. This is to make sure there is no problem with the keyboard.

Let us know after following these steps.

Regards,
Madhan M 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Madhan 

Thanks so much for your reply. I scanned my laptop using the stinger and the mcafee anti virus. Nothing has shown. My keyboard still types the wrong characters. Peacekeeper suggested, amongst other ulgood suggestions, rebooting from a previous start up. I attempted this but when I get to the point at choosing safe mode all the options flash continuously and then stop at option 1 when eventually I choose. By accident I also realised that a brand new ebay account has been set up, there is no activity on it. I'm not sure what is going on, my mcafee is always updated. Not sure what I can do next. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks Steven 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi 

I bought an external keyboard and it types perfectly. My laptop keypad is faulty. What a relief. Although my mcafee account is up to date the other virus checkers found a lot of anomalies that were quarantined so I'm not sure why that is.

Thanks for all your help. 

Steven 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Out of interest was your subscription due? Another thing to you can do after Madhan's suggestions is to run some of the free scanners mentioned here. They are a good supplement to Mcafee scanners but not a replacement

Antispyware tools

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for your reply and suggestions. So far nothing has shown on the scans, though still running. My mcafee subscription lasts up to mid May. 

I will try out the antivirus suggestions if the scans do not pick up anything. 

Thanks again 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi 

I managed to get into safe mode and do a restore. It did not work. I tried two restores with the earliest available date being 14th of February. Files are unchanged and the keyboard is still typing the wrong characters.

Thanks again 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi

A further update. I tried the programs for virus detection suggested by Peacekeeper. They all showed issues and quarantined them but the keyboard issue remains. 

Thanks again 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @Stevenu2uk 

May i know the Make & Model of the laptop?

Can you try the key combination Fn + Num lock  and check?

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Madhan

Thanks again for your help.

The make is Toshiba

The model is  Satellite c850-1gl

cheers

Steven

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community