Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 20

KB2993651 Query

Hi,

I've just been notified by Windows Update that the above patch is ready for installation. Normally I wouldn't have reservations about going ahead with it, but having heard about the amount of trouble KB2982791 - the patch this one is supposed to fix - caused, I'm not sure what to do. I've checked my Update history and KB2982791 is there and I haven't run in to any problems, but I recently heard Microsoft recommend removing this patch manually via the registry, which is something I really don't feel happy about. Is this necessary, or can I just download the patch normally without messing up the operating system?

19 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: KB2993651 Query

@ Wixey,

To be quite frank, I have both of the same Updates in question installed. And have chosen to leave as be. With Microsoft being so ambiguous with their "Update Issues" here lately. I sincerely have no reasonably answer, Being Brutally honest.

I did install the latest "Security Update for Windows 7 Sp1" and it installed successfully. All I can recommend is "Check for updates" manually and see what is, or is not available.

Sincerely,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator 1

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
Level 20
Message 3 of 20

link removed

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wixey
Level 9
Message 4 of 20

Hi catdaddy,

Thanks for the advice; I eventually decided to install the latest patch despite not removing the previous one and haven't encountered any problems so far.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here but whenever I click on either of the links in the above post, I get a message saying access to content on this page is limited and that I'm "Unauthorized" to view it...

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 5 of 20

Don,t overly concern yourself Wixey...Most likely another "Jive" issue which we all are tolerating at the moment.

However, we do have the most proficient individuals working diligently to resolve the issues.

All the Best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
Level 20
Message 6 of 20

On further thought, that could be because it was a discussion, with-in our individual (Moderators Hub)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 20

Internal links removed.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 20

Your best source of information would be Microsoft's own forums as there is a huge amount of discussion over there, or simply Google for more information and locate just about any major Windows help forum.

Microsoft have issued a couple of dodgy updates lately, the first on the 12 August was revoked and replaced, I believe, by this one, but to be honest I am not sure.

catdaddy
Level 20
Message 9 of 20

link removed

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Level 18
Message 10 of 20

You don't have to remove KB2982791 but Microsoft advise it. See the Update FAQ section of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-045 - Important.

All customers should apply the 2993651 update, which replaces the expired 2982791 update. Customers do not need to uninstall the expired 2982791 update before applying the 2993651 update; however, Microsoft strongly recommends it.

For instructions on how to uninstall this update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2982791.

Making changes to the registry is only needed if you've had a problem with Blue Screen 0x50 crashes according to Known Issue 3 in MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014