cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksmog
Level 7

Just installed Mcafee Total Protection Beta and lost all Documents

After install of Mcafee Total Protection Beta, all I have in the documents folder is mcafee vault. None of my other files or folders are anywhere on my C Drive. Does anyone know how to retrieve these files and/or how to remove mcafee file protection?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Just installed Mcafee Total Protection Beta and lost all Documents

Moved to beta (well I was going to but are you a beta group member if you were you would have seen this

Removal of McAfee Total Protection 5.0 Beta

Important note for users who keep their My Documents folder on the D:\ drive of their computer:

If you use the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature (Programs and Features in Windows 7) to remove McAfee Total Protection 5.0 Beta from your computer, your My Documents folder is deleted. You must use McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) to successfully remove the software.

You can find instructions to download and use the MCPR tool here, under “Remove McAfee programs using the McAfee Product Removal Tool.”

I assume you had a beta installed and removed it via Windows add/remove option and documents was not on C drive?????

Asking on beta group forum re retrevial but could they be in the recycle bin?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/02/11 7:16:52 PM
0 Kudos
ksmog
Level 7

I found the MCPR tool put I wanted to just remove the file protection program not the whole suite.  I did not have the document folder on the D: drive.  It was on the C: defaul windows 7 location.  I will try to remove the beta program and see what happens.  I think the files are still here because the C: drive total size is not that much different than it was before I installed Beta.  Hope this works.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

The issue was fixed back in Decemebr so can you post your build and version number of the beta you have please. With the beta you cannot uninstall parts or install parts it is the whole lot or nothing.

Anything in recycle  bin or does any of the undelete software around find them?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/02/11 6:46:59 AM
0 Kudos

Yeah this bug was fixed. Maybe it resurfaced? We need those build numbers.

Since it is early you might be able to use a recovery program. I used undelete-plus to recover (ALL) my 18Gigs of files. I feel for you so I am sharing the link, but I cannot endorse this application.

http://undeleteplus.com/

Install and run it as soon as possible. Set up an empty folder somewhere like C:\recovered and tell it to retain the folder structure.

The only problem I had with this application was all the timestamps of the files go t reset to the day I recovered. But that is better than not having them.

Or you could restore from your most recent backup.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ksmog
Level 7

I tried an undelete program and only got back about 10%.  I don't have build numbers since I uninstalled the Mcafee already.  I think it was 11.01.  I am going to attempt to re-install the beta and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Nothing in recycle bin?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/02/11 11:07:49 AM
0 Kudos
ksmog
Level 7

No Recycle bin was empty.  Tried two different recovery programs but didn't get much back. I had some problems reinstalling the Beta.  I could not get rid of the other Mcafee program that was still on the drive.  I tried the removal tool but it could not remove all the files.  Windows uninstaller also gave me errors. I had to manually remove in safe mode and then was able to install new fresh copy.  Now I am stuck in a loop that real time scanning will not start.  Says I have to keep rebooting to fix but it never starts up.  Mcafee SecurityCenter Version 11 Build 11.0.514

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

You should join the beta groaup as these questions should be there .

I would attempt another uninstall. I assume you used the beta MCPR not the reatail 1?

Something did not install correctly.

0 Kudos