Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Volker62
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Is this originated by McAfee or fake?

Hi, I get continuously the attached scam and I'm not sure if it is from McAfee or fake. When it appears, it does not react on anything, after a while I can close it by clicking X. The "Learn more" button has no effect at any time. Together with the scam, I receive a message that a script takes too long and is blocking my browser (although I have deactivated active scripting).

I should mention that I have McAfee Total Protection installed and running.

Has anybody made a similar experience? (It appears for some weeks now, the picture in the scam changes from time to time, the text is always the same).

McAfee_OnlineScams.jpg

4 Replies
Rajiv_s1
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this originated by McAfee or fake?

Hello @Volker62 ,

It doesn't look like lot of customers are facing this problem, can you please let us know how often are you receiving this alerts?

Regards,

Rajiv S

Volker62
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Several times a day. And as mentioned before, the motive changes every few days, the text remains the same. It looks like a professional campaign, but as one cannot react it looks somehow useless, that's why I'm concerned it could be fake (and of course it sucks 🙂 )

Just adding This a new popup never seen this before and I have been running Mcafee for 20 years.

Best for the mods to chase up

Volker62
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

No chase so far noticed, but the mysterious scams have stopped (for now). There is a new one from time to time about savings in case of early renewal, but those seem to be genuine and are in the same style - so I assume the others were from McAfee as well. 

If this is the case, McAfee should work on them as they are hindering the browser by a script as it seems (the renewal advertisement does not btw), and they do not work properly: The link shows no reaction, and they can only be closed after a while.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community