cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is McAfee 2013 products compatible with Windows XP SP2?

Does anyone know if the new 2013 version of the Internet Security Centre or Antivirus Plus compatible with XP SP2?  The retail box from Future Shop says SP3 or higher but I called McAfee yesterday they said the version you buy from the McAfee site is compatible with SP2 or higher.  Is there a difference?

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is McAfee 2013 products compatible with Windows XP SP2?

Officially it's SP3 or higher, good luck trying it on an unpatched system because it may or may not work.  The system, if it is indeed SP2, is inherently unsafe because it is no longer supported by Microsoft (since July 2010) for updates, not until you install SP3.

Read here about end of support for SP2: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1315

Read here for hints on how to install SP3 semi-painlessly:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007 

Thanks!  I will go check out the links.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

OK, good luck ;-)

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

By the way installing SP3 isn't the end of it, there have been dozens and dozens of updates since then as SP3 is quite old now.  So make sure you keep updating until it's finished offering new ones.   I know it's a pain in the you-know-what to do it, but once done the system will work better plus you'll have the peace of mind from knowing it's fully patched and you've done your part.

Make sure you are using the Microsoft Update option in Windows Updates to update everything, also that IE8 is installed regardless of whether or not you use IE.  Many applications do use it, including McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/11/12 10:36:52 EST AM