cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was offered a 3 year protection plan for $350 by a McAfee support person

Jump to solution

I was offered a 3 year protection plan for $350 by a McAfee support person on an 800 call I made re a message that my computer was not protected.   Is this legitimate?  the person I spoke with -- a supposed supervisor -- had no information to forward to me ...

Very strange ....  showed me evidence that my computer is infested with viruses and there is evidence of hacking ...

Any thoughts?  

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/12 2:41:50 EST PM
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: I was offered a 3 year protection plan for $350 by a McAfee support person

Jump to solution

Sounds like a scam to me.  Only use McAfee Support from either right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting 'Get Help' or come here and click the links under Useful Links or McAfee Support at the top of this page.

You could try uninstalling in the normal manner (Control Panel > Programs), then run the MCPR cleanup tool, also listed under Useful Links and reboot, then reinstall from your online account.

5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Your long header broke the board so I had to abbreviate it.   That sounds like McAfee TechMaster service but perhaps you got that because you called the wrong number?  What 800 number was it and what service were you seeking, Virus Removal perhaps?

Customer Service are the people to ask if that was legitimate I guess-   1-866-622-3911

We can help with virus removal for free but would need details of symptoms, what McAfee software you have and what operating system and service pack you are using.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/12 2:45:43 EST PM

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for reponding and offering to help.   I had a McAfee accoun several years ago with Comcast which eventually switched to Norton.  In January I switched wto Vrison FIOS with the Veriaon Mcafee Protection service.   Now two months later I am seeing a message that tells me that my computtere is not protected and that I need to renew (inappropriate with my Verizon account in whch I am billed monthly)

I called a number -- don't recall what it was but it certaubkt sounded like McAfee and talked with a succession of technicians  until someone runnning my Ammyy told me my machine had a record of 15,000+ errors since January and had been hacked into by someone from British Columbia.   And then offered me to opportunity to fix the machine and guarnatee no further problems for three years ata cost of $350. 

The mahcine has been fine other than what appears to be a loss of protection.  

My thought was to remove the Mcafee and then reinstall it .  

Edandel...

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Sounds like a scam to me.  Only use McAfee Support from either right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting 'Get Help' or come here and click the links under Useful Links or McAfee Support at the top of this page.

You could try uninstalling in the normal manner (Control Panel > Programs), then run the MCPR cleanup tool, also listed under Useful Links and reboot, then reinstall from your online account.

Jump to solution

I followed your advice and it seems to have worked --- Thanks!

Edandel

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Glad to hear it, good luck! ;-)