cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I use TP, how do I stop Win 8.1 attempts to download updates to Windows Defender, it has been trying and failing since August.

Jump to solution

I use TP, how do I stop Win 8.1 attempts to download updates to Windows Defender, it has been trying and failing since August.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: I use TP, how do I stop Win 8.1 attempts to download updates to Windows Defender, it has been trying and failing since August.

Jump to solution

In Windows 8 and 8.1 (& above) the installation of any antivirus should automatically disable Windows Defender altogether as it contains an antivirus of its own in those systems and running two together could lead to trouble.   In your case it appears that the installation may be corrupted.  I suggest a complete uninstall of McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and then reinstall from your online account.  That should set things working correctly.  If you prefer the procedure is laid out in this FAQ.

Should you need help Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 6

Re: I use TP, how do I stop Win 8.1 attempts to download updates to Windows Defender, it has been trying and failing since August.

Jump to solution

In Windows 8 and 8.1 (& above) the installation of any antivirus should automatically disable Windows Defender altogether as it contains an antivirus of its own in those systems and running two together could lead to trouble.   In your case it appears that the installation may be corrupted.  I suggest a complete uninstall of McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and then reinstall from your online account.  That should set things working correctly.  If you prefer the procedure is laid out in this FAQ.

Should you need help Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response, will let all know results.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

OK, good luck ;-)

Jump to solution

This solution is right on target, worked on 2 PC's with related Mcafee issues.   Thank you!

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

You're welcome.  BTW, should you ever need them there's an excellent Windows 8 help forum here:  Windows 8 Forums