cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VaioUser
Level 7

I need to be informed of the difference if any, between two kinds of purchase of McAfee Internet Security 2010-3-user/12-month, that come with a >100% price difference between them !!!

My preinstalled McAfee Internet Security 3-user  program that came with my new Sony Vaio Notebook (Win.7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel i7), expired 2 days ago after a 2-month period.

I'm situated in Greece and the software uses  Greek language too, but there's no mention of any Greece tech-support, local phone number or any local representative, anywhere in McAfee web pages.

The popup link to buy a 12 month subsription sends me to a secure form to buy ''3-user McAfee Internet Security 2010 ,12-month'' at a price of 69,95 Euros.

On the other hand, as I searched a bit ,I can as well , still buy a new  ''3-user McAfee Internet Security 2010 , 12-month'' at  the price of 34.95 Euros minus a 20% offered discount ( again in a Greek language window), at just 27.96 Euros !!!  I need to be informed of what's the difference between the two kinds of purchase of exactly the same software with a >100% price difference between them,  regarding the way I'll have to install / update / download / uninstall / or whatever is needed to keep my Antivirus working as it did, problem-free, for the last 60 days !

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: I need to be informed of the difference if any, between two kinds of purchase of McAfee Internet Security 2010-3-user/12-month, that come with a >100% price difference between them !!!

There is probably no difference.  Go for the cheapest but be careful of fakes.  As long as it activates OK then it's genuine.    No-one claims that McAfee's own website offers the best prices, so shop around but buy from a reputable source.

If you change from one suite to another, or one purchased elsewhere, you should uninstall the old one first before installing the new one.   Uninstall the normal way through Control Panel > Programs and as a precaution run the MCPR removal tool as well and reboot before installing the new one.  MCPR is linked under "Useful Links" at the top of this page.

If you buy from McAfee then you will have an online account which you can use whenever you need to download the product, but if you buy elsewhere then it could be different, that is between you and them and depends how the software is acquired, by CD or via download.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/01/11 7:14:50 EST PM
0 Kudos
VaioUser
Level 7

Re: I need to be informed of the difference if any, between two kinds of purchase of McAfee Internet Security 2010-3-user/12-month, that come with a >100% price difference between them !!!

Thanks for the reply. I must add, though, that oddly the cheap price also comes from the McAfee web site too! ( http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx with hypertext transfer protocol and text is in Greek, proceeding to 1st order step at:  https://home.mcafee.com/secure/cart/?offerId=17........)  so either way my buy will be from McAfee where I'm already registered.

What I do not have any means to know is whether:

1) in the first and expensive option, that I'm driven by my installed ''trial'' software prompt window ''to buy a subscription'': am I to just be given a code/link,etc to reactivate my Int. Security 2010 s/ware updates and simply go-on using the same software as before, or upgrade to Internet Security 2011 ? , and

2) in the cheap offer, do I HAVE to uninstall and reinstall the same s/ware I'm using now already, to load Int.Security 2011?

Unless I proceed to fill Credit Card etc details in both cases I am not given any info of what the purchased item will be !!! a download link? a code/ser.number/link???

''very insufficient info given before one proceeds indeed''.

(I also do not wish to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection 2011)

thanks again

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You would only need to uninstall/reinstall if it's a different suite or from a different source, for instance your internet service provider instead of McAfee direct.

I can't answer for differences in prices as that is entirely the domain of Customer Service.  You would have to contact them by phone or online chat.

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=2057&sg=CS&pt=1

0 Kudos