cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tburd
Level 7

I have alert messages that anti virus is off, when I open it, it says it's OK.

Jump to solution

Certain Internet pages terribly slowed down this morning and I noticed the red flag in the lower right corner. (Windows 7) It says I have 3 important messages - all 3 about virus protection and firewall. When I click on one of them it tells me that McAfee and Windows defender is off with the option to turn them on. When I open my McAfee window everything looks normal. I'm running a full scan right now. Thanks for any advice. Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: I have alert messages that anti virus is off, when I open it, it says it's OK.

Jump to solution

I trust that this is Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated?    Actually I can see that your Internet Explorer isn't updated to IE9.  Try doing that now, even if you don't normally use IE as your default browser, it is important to keep it updated because other software does use it, including McAfee.

Check your machine for malware using the FREE version of THIS software, but update it first before you run it and use only the free version, not Pro.

Turn Windows Defender on and make sure it's updated.  (Microsoft/Windows Update will offer updates for it usuaully).

Run the McAfee Virtual Technician to see if it will fix things automatically.   If it doesn't, post back.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot, stop using any registry cleaners that you may have installed as they cause havoc, not only with security software.

I see you already have MBAM installed  so update it and run it but I hope that it's the free version only as the Pro interferes with McAfee.

Also I see you have MVT installed but unless you did that very recently I recommend uninstalling via Control Panel and installing a fresh version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 11:35:20 EST AM
0 Kudos
10 Replies
spc3rd
Level 10

Re: I have alert messages that anti virus is off, when I open it, it says it's OK.

Jump to solution

Hi Ken,

Until some of our more experienced forum members and Moderators can arrive to review your post, would you please provide (1) - a screenshot of the alert message(s) you are receiving, and (2) - the names of all security software you are currently running on your computer?

Thank you!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 12/2/11 10:25:50 AM EST
0 Kudos
tburd
Level 7

Jump to solution

Screen.png

Screen 2.png My software is from my cable company and I don't know how to find the version. They call it Cox security suite by MaCafee. Cox is my cable company. My scan ran and there were no major issues. What can I do?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I trust that this is Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated?    Actually I can see that your Internet Explorer isn't updated to IE9.  Try doing that now, even if you don't normally use IE as your default browser, it is important to keep it updated because other software does use it, including McAfee.

Check your machine for malware using the FREE version of THIS software, but update it first before you run it and use only the free version, not Pro.

Turn Windows Defender on and make sure it's updated.  (Microsoft/Windows Update will offer updates for it usuaully).

Run the McAfee Virtual Technician to see if it will fix things automatically.   If it doesn't, post back.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot, stop using any registry cleaners that you may have installed as they cause havoc, not only with security software.

I see you already have MBAM installed  so update it and run it but I hope that it's the free version only as the Pro interferes with McAfee.

Also I see you have MVT installed but unless you did that very recently I recommend uninstalling via Control Panel and installing a fresh version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 11:35:20 EST AM
0 Kudos
tburd
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, Thanks so much for your help. The whole thing still doesn't make sense to me. Bottom line: IE9 seemed to fix everything. When I ran virtual technician, it said that the protection was not running. It clicked" fix the problem" and it couldn't. Remember, the start of my headache was that web pages wouldn't load, or more like take more than 1 minute. I went through this dragging the whole way through your suggestions but once IE 9 installed, everything seemed to work. What confuses me is that something started this, which began when I turned my computer on the morning. Anyway, how can I give you some credit? Ken

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Well whatever you do, don't do a System Restore or it might all revert to what it was before!

I do know that often many problems are cured with the browser being brought up to date. 

Have you any registry cleaners onboard, as they often cause these problems?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 5:13:03 EST PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Forgot to comment re: credit, your success is all the credit I need thank you.   By the way you are running Service Pack 1 I hope?

0 Kudos
tburd
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a product called PC Tune Up by PC Pitstop. Is that a registry cleaner?  It looks like I'm running service pack 0.0 from the MVT report.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

PC TuneUp is a registry cleaner and could feasibly cause problems.  The trouble with them is unless a) they ask first before deleting and b) you know what they are doing and what needs cleaning and what doesn't, they will eventually delete essential registry keys and cause problems.  If that happens I just hope it has a restore button to reverse whatever it's done.

All the cleanup tools you should be using are already built in to Windows such as the Disk Cleanup tool.

MVT may not be a good tool to indicate what system and service pack you have.

Right-click 'Computer' and select Properties.

Tell me what that says.   It should say Windows 7...whatever type..  and then Service Pack 1.

0 Kudos
tburd
Level 7

Jump to solution

It says Windows 7 Home Premium and that's it.

0 Kudos