cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to stop McAfee from opening browser at start up

Same problem. Have been there a solution for this?

Mcafee extension is installed and on every startup it pops safari browser and opens extensions tab.

I tried deleting /Library/LaunchAgents/com.McAfeeSafariHost.plist

But every time you restart this file reappears and launches Safari after login.

I had this problem for several days after installing McAfee on a new mac. Safari would open up and show me the Extensions tab of the Preferences window every time my mac started up.

What eventually solved the issue was checking the box next to the McAfee extension in the sidebar of the Extensions tab. I don't know why, but all I can guess is it was waiting for a one-time user verification and kept opening up the window on start until it got it. Since I checked that box, McAfee has not opened Safari on startup again.

check the box.png

Moderator Karthik_K
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 14

Hi @BusinessFolk89 @virginiagardner @othernamen @janikackermann @xogiw 

Please refer this article TS102813 and update us

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Alanrh
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 14

I you're like me, and you don't want to use Site Advisor, the only way to stop it is to uninstall the Extension. Unfortunately, not a straight ahead procedure. The reason is you need to delete the application but the OS won't simply let you drag it into the trash because it is running. If you force quit in Activity monitor, it just relaunches. So, Terminal is your friend. Open the Terminal (in the utilites folder) and type the following command:

sudo rm -Rf /Library/Application\ Support/McAfee/MSS/Applications/McAfeeSafariHost.app

Hit return, enter your password and the application will dissappear. 

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.