Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virginiagardner
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

How to stop McAfee from opening browser at start up

I have just installed McAfee on my Mac, Sierra  10.12.6 . I use Chrome, but I don't have any browser open automatically when I turn on my laptop.  Since installing McAfee yesterday, whenever I open the laptop, it automatically opens in Safari.  I like Safari but I prefer Chrome and I want to stop it from opening in Safari.  I've wandered through Settings and Service Preferences and haven't found anything about browsers.  I'm obviously overlooking, but anyone out there that could point me where I need to go?  Many thanks!  Virginia

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: How to stop McAfee from opening browser at start up

Hi Virginia,

Here's the steps:

1. Open Safari (yes, open Safari even if you want to use another app as your default browser)
  2. Pull down the 'Safari' menu and choose to open 'Preferences' (or just hit command-,)
  3. Click the 'General' tab.
  4. Choose the default web browser you would prefer to use.
  5. Quit Safari, and you're done. 

Also see  Change the Default Web Browser in Mac OS X | OSXDaily

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
djamesbarr
Not applicable
Message 3 of 14

I don't think you answered her question in the way she wanted. I'm having the same problem where Mcaffe opens a web browser and the extensions box at start up. It's not about what browser we want to use, it's about stopping an unwanted action clearly being caused by the Mcaffee program. AND it's not only annoying but it's slowing down the startup process on my computer. This isn't just a random thing. I have three computers that I recently installed the Mcaffee software on and it's the same on all of them. On my own I can't find any answer or solution for this other than to uninstall the root cause, mcaffee.

djamesbarr
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

also, i won't be renewing my subscription at the end of next month if this problem can't be fixed. I'm paying to have my computer protected by the software, not controled.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I will contact someone on your behalf to further assist you.

@Karthik_K  Could you please assist this customer?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Moderator selvan
Message 6 of 14

It sounds like McAfee is trying to install the SiteAdvisor browser extension and hence the extensions window pops-up. Do you see any prompts around this? Once you have set up the browser extension the pop up wouldn't appear
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Thank you Selvan

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
janikackermann
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

Thank you for trying to explain it. But unfortunately that isn’t the case. The extension is already installed, but if you don’t want to use it, the browser is opened at each start-up. Extremely annoying.

xogiw
Not applicable
Message 9 of 14

I am a client of McAfee antivirus since 2010. I think this antivirus outstanding amongst other antivirus of all my opportunity, however, some time or another back I change my framework and introduce McAfee antivirus, the exceptionally same time my PC demonstrates to me some mistake like blunder 3048 3. after deal with this issue I open my site "Techriation.com" yet my control board of this site isn't working on the off chance that I stop my McAfee security my site control board work legitimately. on the off chance that you have any sort assessment plz share me I will oblige.

othernamen
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14

Is there a solution for this?