cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a deluge of pop-up adverts

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone. I have Mcafee internet security 3-user, and Windows 7. Browser is Google Chrome.

The security suite is on this PC and a laptop. On this PC I have little trouble with pop-up adverts but on the laptop, which has Windows 8, by the way, they are everywhere.

When I bought the laptop a few weeks ago I had to remove the Mcafee trial version in order to install this Mcafee  as a second user.

I don't know if the laptop got infected while the changeover was taking place, but anyway I wish to get rid of the adverts. Can I use the Mcafee program to do that?

Part of my difficulty is that I don't know what category the pop-up software comes under. Is it malware? If so, should I use a separate malware blocker? Is blocking the same as removing? As you may have gathered, I'm new to all this.

If anyone can help, then thanks in advance. Cheers.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to remove a deluge of pop-up adverts

Jump to solution

Either a picture of the popups or their name would help.  Meanwhile run Stinger and maybe Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, all in the the last link in my signature below.

Note to keep Malwarebytes actually free of charge do NOT accept the free trial.

3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Either a picture of the popups or their name would help.  Meanwhile run Stinger and maybe Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, all in the the last link in my signature below.

Note to keep Malwarebytes actually free of charge do NOT accept the free trial.

Jump to solution

Thanks Pewter. Will dop as you suggest. Cheers.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Good luck ;-)