cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix display problem with McAfee on line help?

Jump to solution

The on line help wiindow is distorted and unreadable. The Contents sidebar is OK, but the text is smashed into a narrow vertical frame in the center of the window (about 8 characters wide) and there is another frame on the right hand side with no text. Looks kind of like a frozen frame in Excel, but cannot be adjusted or eliminated. These windows cannot be adjusted with the cursor, and there are no max/min buttons on the window to make it larger or legible.  Using WIN 7 latest with totally updated drivers, updated McAfee Security Center. Any help? Have attached a screen shot.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 17

Re: How to fix display problem with McAfee on line help?

Jump to solution

Solved it is the 125% magnification setting it to 100% works. passing this on up the line

16 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

Checking mine I have seen this as well. sio aking a tech and some of the other  mods if they have fixed this

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

had a tech and a mod check theirs and all fine cannot enlarge the box but help is not squashed up.

What monitor resolution are you using?

Jump to solution

Dell ST2420L monitor in native screen res of 1920 x 1080. Am using 125% magnification of text size in Win7 screen display menu. Had this problem since computer was new less than 6 months ago. Just downloaded new drivers for monitor and display card as optional windows updates with no impact on this issue.  Haven't tweaked any other settings.  The menu works correctly and the text obeys the slider bar vertically, but the large space on the right cannot be adjusted with cursor and slide bar at right (just barely visible) doesn't work.  Have noted Win7 compatibility patch for help documents for older programs but have not installed it due to conflicts with newer features.

Absolutely no other errors related to windowing, visibility or cursor behavior on any other program.

Using AMD Raedon 6600 HD Display adapter and Device Manager says it is working perfectly.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution

Try 100% magnification I will test My wife's PC as it shows same. My other 2 have 2012 beta running and help is disabled in it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

Solved it is the 125% magnification setting it to 100% works. passing this on up the line

Jump to solution

Thanks. Will take your word for it. Don't plan on being uncomfortable with eveything else on my computer screen just to solve this issue. Will wait for bug fix. Appreciate the help.

Happy 2012.

Jump to solution

BTW, They really should put a max/min button on the menu so you can see some real area while you are using this.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

Agreed

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I've been experiencing the same problem and spent a considerable amount of time on the phone to tech support. They ran my PC from remote and tried all sorts of contortions like changing my screen resolutions and the like but were unable to resolve the issue on my Windows 7 SP1 IE8 platform. Interestingly, the problem does not seem to occur on my old XP SP1 IE7 machine. My workaround for now was to copy the web link used on the XP machine to Favorites on my Windows 7 machine and simply open it in IE8 directly. That way, you can size the window to suit your viewing requirements instead of taking what McAfee gives you.

Recently, I've noticed that you can at least get rid of the frame clutter by cllicking on the McAfee shield; this still doesn't make the window any larger or easier to read, but it does at least make it more readable. I had never tried that before the latest update (the one with the "sticky" shortcut) was installed, so I don't know if it worked the same way earlier.

McAfee needs to spend expend more effort on making the product work correctly and improving processing speed and less on marketing if they want us to renew when our subscription run out.

John

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community