cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable popup from McAfee software "Special Renewal Savings"

I am getting a popup telling me that I can save 50% if I renew by November 15.  My subscription expires in June, 2011.

Why would I renew when I have 7 months left on my subscription?

The only think this popup does for me is make me want to uninstall McAfee from my computer and go to another product.

Is there a way to disable this popup?

33 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 34

Re: How to disable popup from McAfee software "Special Renewal Savings"

Unfortunately that sort of advertising is rather common these days and it can't be disabled permanently.  It shouldn't take you more than 1 second to close it however.

They are aware that many regard it as a nuisance as we Moderators have relayed it several times.

We all got it by the way regardless of subscription state.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/11/10 6:38:56 CST AM

"Quite common"?  This is the ONLY software that I have that does this.

I guess it will "quite common" for people to stop using McAfee software.  I know I will.  I didn't pay money for an auto-ad generator.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 34

Your choice of course.

My Diskeeper is constantly reminding me that a more modern version is available as does Everest, Winzip etc. etc.

twalsh
Level 7
Message 5 of 34

That's bullshit other applications remind you that there are updates to the product available. They do NOT constantly throw ads for other products in your face THAT is called SPAM.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 34

I guess everyone has different viewpoints.  There is one bright spot to these ads, they help keep the price of the software as low as possible.

They appear once and should easily be dismissed.

This thread is a year old anyway and lately I haven't seen any popup ads at all. 

I haven't seen any McAfee popup ads since December 2010.  That's when I uninstalled McAfee and bought another virus scanner.  I still had 6 months left on my subscription, but it was worth it to get rid of the popups.

Good news for the competitors, bad news for McAfee.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 34

Hardly something I would waste 6 months of a subscription over, but your choice of course.  I think I've only seen 2 popups in the last year or so.

I'm currently getting an advertisement every time I unlock my laptop, so really about 10 times today not including the number of occurance's I've seen in the last few days.  If that's not obtrusive I don't know what is. The ones I'm getting arent even for renewal either. Their for other shit I dont want and never want, additionally if thats what I can expect by adding more mcaffee products then I cant imagine who would willingly pay money to a company that you KNOW is going to harass you.

Message was edited by: toaster_chicken on 12/17/11 6:25:55 PM CST
exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 34

Once you dismiss it the first time it should not have reappeared at all.  Contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.